Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Iv been drifting for about 5 years now. Last year was my first year entering competitively. In 2007 i drifted a 500+whp MKIII on HKS coilovers. 2008 i had a RX7 FC and a 240SX neither were very good. In 2008 i got a 06 GTO witch was the best car i have ever used for drifting in but the thought of crashing a $25,000 car dosnt exactly make me want to keep using it. Considering how many times i crashed my MKIII supra learning to drift i know it will happen again. So now that i have a MKII that i picked up for cheap and i couldnt really care about banging up a little bit i was thinking about building it into my drift car. Obvioulsy it will need a motor swap and some susp work. Is there anyone else out there using a MKII for drifting?

·
Registered
464 Posts
well i try...but i need more hp.lol so i can break them loose in 2nd ha. but thats commin.. they handle like a dang lemans car, so they probably would be a good drifter!!

·
is awesome
2,736 Posts
Iv been drifting for about 5 years now. Last year was my first year entering competitively. In 2007 i drifted a 500+whp MKIII on HKS coilovers. 2008 i had a RX7 FC and a 240SX neither were very good. In 2008 i got a 06 GTO witch was the best car i have ever used for drifting in but the thought of crashing a $25,000 car dosnt exactly make me want to keep using it. Considering how many times i crashed my MKIII supra learning to drift i know it will happen again. So now that i have a MKII that i picked up for cheap and i couldnt really care about banging up a little bit i was thinking about building it into my drift car. Obvioulsy it will need a motor swap and some susp work. Is there anyone else out there using a MKII for drifting?
Yep, I drift my MKII Supra. Did for a full year with a 5M-GE and stock LSD & suspension (minus UPGD. Rear Sway and Tokico HP Blues on rear). Where'd you compete? What'd you enter in? ProAM FD, D1's Amateur Circuit, local drift comps? Why'd you get rid of the MKIII? Too trashed to reuse? With 500+whp and the suspension options available for that car, though heavy you should have done just fine (after adding more steering angle).

I'd suggest if you want to keep drifting and be competitive with it, lose the GTO, get the 240 and swap in a SR20-DET. Best bang for your buck, proven (& easy) swap, most suspension options, and easy to find replacement shells (other people's failed projects; and for cheap too).

As for drifting a MKII... unless it's got super rotten body panels, Don't bother. Why? Because someone else out there will/can buy the car. The modifications and $$ required to bring the MKII chassis will cost two to three times that of what a 240 with similar options would. Ask me how I know. And your power options... are 7M, or 1/2JZ both doable, but costly. 2J is the superior route for bank vs. buck. 7M requires extensive mods to support same HP goals that 2J can support stock, and 2J has USDM parts avail, unlike 1J.

well i try...but i need more hp.lol so i can break them loose in 2nd ha. but thats commin.. they handle like a dang lemans car, so they probably would be a good drifter!!
You can drift just fine with stock HP. Find a huge parking lot/industrial complex, and learn to drift by doing about 20 -> 35 and clutch kicking the car while feinting the vehicle. I practiced this way for a bit and learned to initiate the car, and then hold the drift with steering input and throttle modulation. Once you do it and you decide you really want to stick with it, then spend $$$ and HOURS & HOURS modifying the suspension to your needs. PS. I had no problems drifting in 2nd & 3rd and occasionally short bursts (@ very high speeds) in 4th. Only problem I had was after a few minutes my LSD would get hot and then start to open up and slip causing VERY erratic results. I'd get 1 tire fire till I had enough inertia to swing the back of the car around then both would spin. Major PITA.

Shopping List: IN ORDER NEED TO BE DONE.... do it your way that's fine, but you'll regret it.

1. Wheels
  • 16x8 0 offset - Why? Tire cost, and tire size availability. You'll have more tires (new & used) to choose from, as well as tires with a lower profile sidewall, and are often cheaper than 14" tires. Helpful for combatting sidewall flex.
2. Suspension
  • FULL BUSHING KIT
    1. Tension Rod
    2. Front Sway Bar (endlinks)
    3. Front Control Arm
    4. Rear Control Arms
    5. Rear Shock Mounts (upper & Lower)
    6. Rear Sway Bar (endlinks)
    7. Subframe to Body
    8. Differential to Subframe
  • Upgrade/Beef Up Rear Sway Bar Mounts
  • Front & Rear Sway Bars with SOLID (sway to body) bushings
  • Adjustable Front Coilovers w/ Adjustable Struts & Stiff Springs + Helpers
  • Modify rear spring perch for adjustable perch & higher rate springs and adjustable shocks
  • Front & Rear Strut/Shock tower braces
  • Shortened Front Strut Tube Housings
  • Camber plates with needle bearings
  • Rear Camber Mod Brackets to combat Neg. Camber when lowered
  • Roll Center Adjusters (to prevent dreaded bump stop after lowering car for better CG)
  • Add Steering Spacers, OR use RA61 Struts & Knuckles as the Steering Arm is shorter = Faster Steering & More Angle
  • Solid Engine Mounts
  • 1 Piece Driveshaft, modified to accept MKIII replacable U-Joints
  • Upgraded TRD LSD w/ 4.30's (if 5M kept, possible 3.7 or 3.4 if HP engine swap is performed)
  • Hydraulic E-Brake & supporting mods
  • Open Diff with Welded Spiders.
3. Engine
  • 5M-GE - Not bad, retardedly reliable. Power weakens after about 5200 rpm, noticeably so. However it can handle the rev limiter all day no problems. Average for an NA with a fresh build and mild work is about 160 +/-. Spending some on exhaust (header & full 2.5") and intake (RabidChimp Intake Pipe) will help
  • 7M-GTE - Getting more common to swap, however not as cost effective for HP purposes as the 2JZ-GTE. More mods required to achieve the insane reliability of the 2JZ. Parts cost MORE than 2JZ parts (Cam Gears, Turbo Manifolds, Cams etc). AEM Standalone is cheaper, however you have to sink a fair bit of money into one of these to get them to be multiple season reliable.
  • 2JZ-GTE - Best bang for your buck. Simply add a RRFPR, and larger turbo and you're set. Stock they're pretty much as bullet proof as the 225 Slant 6 Dodge engine.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yep, I drift my MKII Supra. Did for a full year with a 5M-GE and stock LSD & suspension (minus UPGD. Rear Sway and Tokico HP Blues on rear). Where'd you compete? What'd you enter in? ProAM FD, D1's Amateur Circuit, local drift comps? Why'd you get rid of the MKIII? Too trashed to reuse? With 500+whp and the suspension options available for that car, though heavy you should have done just fine (after adding more steering angle).
Just local comps. The supra got stolen. And i will never drift a 240sx. Everyone and there mother drifts a 240sx. My GTO drifts better stock than half the Drift 240's around here. Then again most of the sr20 and rb swaped 240's are hardparkers. Theres a few that drift tho. Plus the GTO is a really nice DD. I couldnt get rid of it.

As for tires. I got that covered.

these are last seasons unused left over tires. I think i have 48 left. Burnt up around 20 sets.

·
Registered
13,184 Posts
They're drifting their car overe there.

They're drifting.

They own their car.

The car is over there.

There, with that handled, I'm trying to keep the car FROM drifting. If the wheels are slipping at more than 10%, you're losing speed.

--billyM

·
Registered
96 Posts
OMG ninja this is just to give you a boost in motivation: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1364700048198929671&q=supra+mkii+drift#

It's one of my buddy's. He swapped a 7MGE, gutted the interior, instaled front Koni shock and that's pretty much all. You can tell the suspension is cruelly lacking of stiffness and that since he doesn't have an hydraulic e-brake and brake line lock he can not put the car at angle perfectly.

He still own that car, but bought a Soarer already modified to jump in the proffesionnal league (DMCC). He had some bad luck last season and still struggle to learn that car (he say it's too long and a tad too heavy) and he still doesn't know what an e-brake is. He ranked 18 out of 28 with two DNF (one because the fuel pump positive wire busted in the finals and an other because he crashed the car after the rear outside rim broke while drifting).

http://www.supraquebec.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=5526

Anyway from his own beleives an experiences his dream drift machine is still a MKII Supra.

So you were driffting a MKIII? Why not going back with one? From what I've found so far it's easier to find part and modify this car to drift. However it's true that a MKIII Supra is heavy.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
They're drifting their car overe there.

They're drifting.

They own their car.

The car is over there.

There, with that handled, I'm trying to keep the car FROM drifting. If the wheels are slipping at more than 10%, you're losing speed.

--billyM
LOL! This is necessary!

·
Registered
139 Posts
cant find spit in my mouth for a 240sx they are so played out but i own a 300zx lol

Just local comps. The supra got stolen. And i will never drift a 240sx. Everyone and there mother drifts a 240sx. My GTO drifts better stock than half the Drift 240's around here. Then again most of the sr20 and rb swaped 240's are hardparkers. Theres a few that drift tho. Plus the GTO is a really nice DD. I couldnt get rid of it.

As for tires. I got that covered.

these are last seasons unused left over tires. I think i h
ave 48 left. Burnt up around 20 sets.
i agree i will never drive a 240 to many on the track now. I run a caged modded beast of a 83mk2! manuel rack out of a mr2 modded to fit turns sharper! mr2 ajustable rear coilovers up front. 08 ford focus 8 ways on the back. stitchwelded everywhere i could get 15" by 9"-31 offset deepdish rims for a wide stance no spacer plates and cambered 4 degrees up front, lowered 3" with 3" in 3" out mandrel bent pipe so it can breath! 300ZX brake MOD. All riding on toyo proxes 195/45 r15 78v pro comp drift rubber the MK2 is still a force to be reckoned with. a good all around car, setup right:)but this is not my DD

·
Registered
471 Posts
I'm building my crashed one into a drift fun car, its worth it to be different and try something new.

I already need a new steering rack from crash and rims.
Any word on what steering rack would be a good choice assiide from the mr2 one? And which gen mr2 has been tried? I'd love to get more life and have some fun with the mkII

·
Registered
172 Posts
Drift School in Fresno this Saturday! Will try out the new front swaybar, but the forcast is for rain... Save the tires!!

I completely agree with the clutch kick and ebrake... make it dance!

Should be fun for a daily driver.

EricG

·
Registered
412 Posts
Eh i drift my car at the local track for fun

Its cheap and good fun. Stock 5mge on 235 tires. I spin tires pretty good in 2nd gear. I kinda got it to drift ok. Also I dont have power steering kinda makes it hard but it works. Also I dont clutch dumnp or ebrake at all just come into corner around 4k rpm or so punch it ass will slide and hold on rev limiter till you exit corner Kinda how I do it. Im not good by anymeans but its all fun. Car is pretty easy to control. I would like to get some stiffer springs and shocks and a nice rear sway bar to help the ass come around with less throttle.he o

Also I am the only non nissan there everytime almost. Might see a fc rx7 but of the like 100 cars 95% are nissans (240sx or 350z mainly few z's)

1 - 20 of 67 Posts