Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok here is the deal, this forum is awsome. I went and logged back on to http://www.camryforums.com I posted a thread in the new users chat three days ago. Not a hi, hello welcome, or piss off, FU or USE THE SEARCH DUMB ASS. So anyone here have a camry,love their camry, miss their camry? let me know cause as i said you guys are awsome about the mkii. wish i could get the same passion over there.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I have a 97 Camry that I bought in 02. I was in Portland, OR at the time. My Celica had been hit 3 times and then would not pass emissions. I had 2 weeks to find a car. I ended up buying the Camry. I didn't like it much at first, but after I worked on it, I began to love it. I still have it parked on the side of my house. It runs and drives perfectly. All maintenence has always been up to date. I have 160K on it.

I never had checked out a Camry forum, CelicaSupra.com set the bar really high.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yes this place is hard to beat, so if its not said enough, thanks guys for understanding the questions of a noob. ok back to camry things. i put e3 plugs in last week. the power gain noticeable. i have yet to check the mileage, it says i should see a couple extra.

·
Registered
348 Posts
My Camry has hardly any issues. I had a CEL once, scanned the code, it told me exactly what sensor tripped it, followed testing proceedure for possible failure, then replaced the VSV. That was what fixed the CEL issue. Other than that, runs and drives great. The only upgrades I've done to it is a set of 16" rims, a cone air filter and a less-restrctive exhaust. HP gains were minimal, gas mileage improved as well.

If I was having problems, or was doing some serious modification, I might check out a forum, but, like Jamie, I'd probably just post here in "other cars". The Camry is my "old reliable".

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks, see you guys can find a answer or know where to look. point us in the right direction. ill have to check that section out. lowering springs for it at tax time and a rebuild kit for the supra. sorry honey no cruise ship vacation this year.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Sorry honey no cruise ship vacation this year.
Never take vacations! Put the $$ into the cars. Vacation memories fade, but happiness comes from successful completion of car projects IMO.:zzzzz:

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yep i'm happy but shes pissed off lol. i had a ex told me one time you cant buy that car until we get a dishwasher. shes gone, i still have the car and the dishwasher lol.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Curt, tell us about your Camry.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
its 93 5sfe replace two years ago, auto. modified psudo exhaust, k&n air filter with modified air box. factory disc brakes up front with green stuff pads. rear drums, thinking about a rear v6 axel swap. just put ppwer plus napa plug wires and e3 plugs in it. custom led fogs led third brake light. ice is jvc head unit factor door speakers and rear deck speakers. infinity amp and 12s in a sloted box enkie 15" rims graphite grey pain to match the taupe silver factory paint. looking for engine upgade suggestions. suspention ideas also.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I've got the 5sfe also. I love that motor. It is extremely reliable, but underpowered. It does well in the Celicas, but our Camrys are quite heavy for our little 4-bangers. I, too, thought about a v-6 swap, but dismissed the idea after I found out how much is involved in doing it. My 5sfe runs smooth and mpg is worth keeping. My Supra is the one for driving passion.

The Camry I own also has a decent stereo system. Pioneer Premier cd deck, Polk 6 1/2's in the doors, Polk 6x9's in the rear deck, followed by a single 15" Kicker Comp powered by Phoenix Gold in the trunk. I custom built the sub box to fit in the "tunnel" area and the front part of the trunk. It holds 4 cubic feet of air space, the sub is floor fired, and does not need to be moved to have access to the spare tire. It took me a couple days to build it as it has 22 sides. I was considering changing the box to hold a pair of 10's, but the Supra build has taken over my time and $$.

I've looked into building up the 5sfe before and didn't find much. I did discover that the 3sfe and the 5sfe share the same exhaust manifold bolt pattern. I found a pacesetter header that fit, only slightly modified the collector to clear the front, lower engine mount. A turbo could be installed according to the 3sfe specs, but it also requires an upgraded transmission to withstand the upgrade. I found a company online that will do it, but it would cost around $1,000 if there's nothing wrong with the current trans. There are plenty of lowering springs available for it, including coil-overs. My decision was to keep it how it is as it is a great car, but temptation will always be waiting. :naughty:

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
got 2 (sorta) the sorta is my moms 1mzfe 96 avalon thats running at half a mil miles on the odometer, engine never been cracked open, save for valve cover gaskets. the next is my girls 1mzfe 95 camry, around 180k miles on it. bought about 4 years ago at 140k miles. both have never ever ever ever given anyone problems, and never left anyone stranded. the motors are rediculously reliable, plenty of power, and both cars average 27mpg on the highway, with the avalon getting around 21-22 city, and the camry getting around 22-23 city. (big difference in weight between these two cars)

eventually, the camry will be retired from my girls lineup and hopefully be replaced with a used LS430, only time will tell tho, because the damn motor runs FOREVER.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yes long lasting power plants. i saw that the 3sgte turbo, intake throttle body, exaust manifold, will bolt to the 5sfe. a intercooler and pipping will need to be custom made. i was thinking of swaping just the rearend from a v6. this would give me disc brakes on all four corners. i think the four cyl. has good power. as a car nut we always are looking for more.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you are planning to buy a new car or you are a Camry fanatic, you should purchase this best selling 2012 Toyota Camry which has all-new look, attractive, conservative, sporty and has great interior quality. Many people purchase the Toyota Camry. It isn't just comfortable; it will last forever. They sell like crazy in the States. That is what they were designed for. You can feel safe when driving. It is a family friendly vehicle. One of the biggest problems with the automobile is finding it in Missouri. Finding a dealership can actually be easy though. Just go to: http://cardealexpert.com/model/21326/2012-Toyota-Camry

1 - 16 of 16 Posts