Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to look at a 5mge engine for sale next week. The owner has a list of all the machine work done to it and the head. It's un-assembled so I can see the pistons. The pistons are supposed to be $600+ but I really don't know how to tell if they are special or not. So, any pics would be nice so I can educate myself before making the trip. Hope to buy this thing along with a few other parts. It's hours away so I have to make my decision once I get there.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Scott. Any way to tell between forged and regular? I have used forged in a couple v8's but never really tried to tell if they are visually different. My guess is this engine I am going to look at has stock pistons and the person that now owns the engine just got excited when he saw valve reliefs.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
Just look for the number stamp on the top of the piston (can easily see it on the 2nd pic), if it has the stamp on there (looks like both mow and high are stamped "2"), then they are just stock pistons. If they do not have the stamp on them, you can look at the bottom of the piston and forged should be smooth and the OEM style should have what looks like metal ribs on the inside of the piston.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just look for the number stamp on the top of the piston (can easily see it on the 2nd pic), if it has the stamp on there (looks like both mow and high are stamped "2"), then they are just stock pistons. If they do not have the stamp on them, you can look at the bottom of the piston and forged should be smooth and the OEM style should have what looks like metal ribs on the inside of the piston.
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bought the engine. Been to 2 local machine shops to let them look at the pistons. I assume they are cast but the owner of this engine thought they were forged. He didn't originally buy them so..... The machinist were not 100% sure. Both said they resemble forged other than some rough casting in the valve reliefs. So they both guessed cast. What do you guys think? Number on top: 11-641 2t and they are .50 over.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts