Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At the request of my dad's ending patience with my supra*It hates starting for me, even with a new starter and plugs*, his idea is it has to be "vaporlocking" Basically. the thing won't start until about 3-100 tries. Other times, it'll start right up. Anyone have similar problems and blamed it on the vaporlock? BTW...if i can't get this carstarting thing under control, there's an 82 ptype with a bunch of new parts going for sale in lower michigan :)

·
Registered
290 Posts
Is the car harder to start when it is warm or cold? Has it gotten harder to start since it has got warmer out? If it has then it could be your fuel pump. I had thought the same thing about my car when it began to get hard to start. Eventually it would quit shortly after I drove it and under heavy acceleration it would stall due to lack of fuel. I narrowed it down to the fuel pump so I took it out and it was plugged with rust from my gas tank :mad: (It sat for 2 years before I bought it)and the pump had worn itself out from the strain of pulling the fuel through the rust clog. It is fairly easy to replace the fuel pump on supras from mid '83 and earlier since the pump is outside the tank.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Remind me to hug you sometime. You perfectly described all my ailments. I'll rip off that fuel pump tomorrow and put on a new one, the guy who i bought my car from really screwed me over on the "new" fuel pump. "I just had my mechanic put in a new one..." I think his mechanic had a few beers before/during/after he started the job...He left the old one still attached to the car and placed the new one in front of it, using the bad one as a piece of pipe. How he managed that, I don't quite know. Bad bad man! :bad-word: Maybe i'll just put a kick starter on my car :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts