Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to get these replicated in the future. Does anyone know how to or know who can do a job like this?

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is he still active on the forums?

·
Premium Member
5,561 Posts

·
Founding Member
6,357 Posts
Those remind me of the stock taillights I had on my Mercury Capri back in the 80s. When I had the car repainted in 1988, I carefully masked off the lens between each fin and had them painted body color for a unique appearance. Are those covers translucent or solid? I'd like to see what they look like at dawn/dusk with the brake lights illuminated.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes they are translucent. I will get pics later today. I mainly wanted these because they are rare, and didn't want to tint my tails. Plus, these are so easy to remove and put on unlike my other tail light covers.

·
Founding Member
6,357 Posts
It was a style back in the 80s. The Mustang GT came with stock body-color taillight covers which was what gave me the idea.

I don't have a picture of the back end of my Capri to post but this is what the taillights looked like painted (about the same color).

This is what they looked like stock.

Of course it was during this period that they came up with the 3rd high-mount brake light. I guess they hadn't invented high-intensity LEDs yet. With modern technology of course you could put a smoked taillight lens on your car and still blind the driver behind you or make him see spots for days.

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
I always loved the wheels on that last capri, aren't those the ones with that weird metric tire size though?

·
Premium Member
5,561 Posts
I always loved the wheels on that last capri, aren't those the ones with that weird metric tire size though?
Yes they are. They came on my '81 Mustang Cobra that I bought new back in the day. They wore out fast on me, too. The replacement tires cost an arm and a leg about 30kmiles down the road so it was cheaper to buy aftermarket wheels and normal-sized tires.

·
Founding Member
6,357 Posts
Yes. I ran tires 220-55r-390. The story goes that Michelin came up with a new bead design that was not supposed to separate from the rim if you had a blowout at high speed. Ferrari, BMW and Ford bought into it, but the rest of the automotive industry didn't follow, so Michelin discontinued them after about six or seven years. The tires wouldn't last very many miles though, I was replacing them about every 25-30K and the price kept going up after manufacturing had stopped. The last time I tried to buy tires in 1991, I bought a set of 15" wheels and went back to standard tires because the price had gotten up to $175 each. Coker bought out all the remaining stock in the mid-90s and the last time I checked out of curiosity, probably ten years ago, they were well over $400 each for 15 year old tires. I imagine they're sold out by now.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Those look pretty neat!

With the running lights on..

And the brakes...

·
Premium Member
5,561 Posts
Yes, still bright enough.

·
Premium Member
4,035 Posts
Those would be the "TRX" tires. A buddy of mine had them on his Turbo Mustang, and he was always looking for "good used tires" as he couldn't afford the extortionist pricing the tires stores wanted.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts