Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Although I haven't investigated this, I always wonder why this happens...
If you set your parking brake while pointing down a hill or driveway, the car rolls about 6~8 inches forward before it actually stops the car. I can't see what or how the car is doing this since the rear doesn't "sit" when this happens, nor are there any parts in the rear brake that I can see causing this.
Am I the only one who notices things like this???

:snipersm:

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
If your a Sluchbox tranny, it could be that the e-brake isn't grabbing tight enough to hold the car compeltely and its rolling forward till it hits the parking pin in the tranny...

If its not an Auto...

Umm.... :silly: :D

·
Registered
71 Posts
its probably because the mk2 uses a drum in disc e-brake, essentially meaning that the ebrakes are drum brakes so it will roll a little before it gets its servo action going on.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well Bob, it is a manual tranny, so it's definitely not the trans stopping the motion, although that's the exact feeling I get. Just like I put it in park without any parking brake, and rolling just a bit to where the tranny stops the movement.
And I am familiar with the rear drum brakes on the rear, but what I can't figure out is that when I pull the brake handle, the shoes extend till it hits the brake drum/rotor. So, if it contacts the drum, why would it still roll forward(or back if I am the other way)? The only thing that I can think of that causes this, would be that the parking brake ass'y is able to rotate a bit before hitting something that keeps it from going all the way around.
Btw, thanks for the replies so far!

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Inside the rotor there are 2 shoes sitting like this ( )
For them to fully engage the must rotate in the direction of the rolling mass. Basically, they twist until it binds things up.

·
Registered
861 Posts
The E-brake is probably not set tight enough, and the car rolls until the gears mesh into each other, just as if you never had the E-brake on to start with. Tighten that bugger up and see if it makes a difference. I bet you have to pull the handle up almost to the sky before it engages too right?!..

Scotty

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nope! Already adjusted the ebrake months ago. and it's not rolling back on the gears, this happens in neutral also. It's just a strange feeling that you set the brake, it never rolls forward (if I'm on a hill facing downward), only backward when I'm on a hill facing upward. It does engage though, once it rolls backward about 1 foot or so, but I am able push the vehicle forward once it "hits" this spot. It feels exactly like the brake shoes are completely locked to the hub, but the hub is able to rotate 1/2 a revolution...

·
Registered
456 Posts
Having never taken my ebrake apart I'm not exactly sure how the shoes work but maybe they are of the "leading shoe" design. That's where the front shoe has to make contact with the drum and in effect "pulls" the back shoe into contact with the drum. So perhaps when facing uphill the brake shoes take a bit more rolling resistence before there is contact on the drum from the back shoe.......or maybe there is uneven wear on the 2 shoes causing somewhat the same thing. HTH

1 - 10 of 10 Posts