Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

Anyone swapped a 4 banger?

4K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  83CelWA 
#1 ·
I was wondering if anyone had try to swap a 4 cylinders engine in a Supra MK2 before. I know getting a JZ engine is easy and cost/power effective but I was looking at the possibilities of swapping a 4 Cyl Turbo engine and gain a little bit of 50/50 weight distribution and something less heavy than a JZ. I thought about a 4AGZE, 3SGTE or even going in Nissan SR20DET Swap. I was really curious to find out how much hassle I would go throught.:thumbsup:

#2 ·
#3 ·
I've only thought of this cause at one point i was going to put a 5mge into my Corona (20r) and my friend wanted to buy the supra and asked if the motor would fit in it. It's doable but i think a 3000 pound car with a 80 horsepower 4 banger isn't going anywhere/

#6 ·
i love the idea. yet again somthing different. they did the same thing with the jgtc supra for a number of years, ditched the 2j for a 3s. all about the weight, and cost effectiveness.

#7 ·
Current Hyundai Sonata 274hp and 269 lb ft 2.0 turbo engine 30mpg in the sonata.
It is FWD though so....
There are some awesome twin/twin scroll small displacement engines out there, most appear to be front wheel drive-so that's an issue.

BMW has a 2.0 turbo 240 hp engine w/ rear wheel, but BMW=$$$$ and they seem to break down frequently-well at least the car not the engines.

2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe
210hp 2.0L turbocharged 4-cylinder and rwd Gearbox 6-speed manual or automatic with Shiftronic-still relativity new so prob $$$

One of these days some one will plant a potent 4 banger with tubo in the Supra, getting 30mpg on the highway and revving out to 8k sounds fun for a daily driver.

#11 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.