Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please I really need help guys! I have an 84 that I have an afc on and the afc is giving me trouble. Ive been reading up and think that the pre 85 TPS's aren't compatible with the afc... My TPS on teh afc shows a constant 100% an i think its just cause of the style of TPS. However I would like to be proven wrong. So if ANYONE that ANYONE knows of with an afc on the pre-85 MK2 please let me know so I can contact them. THanks

Austin

·
Registered
430 Posts
does it have a black round TPS? if so then you have it hooked to the wrong wire on your ECU. if it has the box style TPS the AFC will not work and you will need to upgrade your ECU and at least that part of the harness for it to work.

MKIIBeater said:
Please I really need help guys! I have an 84 that I have an afc on and the afc is giving me trouble. Ive been reading up and think that the pre 85 TPS's aren't compatible with the afc... My TPS on teh afc shows a constant 100% an i think its just cause of the style of TPS. However I would like to be proven wrong. So if ANYONE that ANYONE knows of with an afc on the pre-85 MK2 please let me know so I can contact them. THanks

Austin

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
boy it is awesome getting new like this...

Ok then can you help me out with a few questions? If I can get an 85 ecu, will I need to change anything if I just want to bolt it right up? I dont know if any of the pins are different... I was thinking of that but I dont know if thats worth it to me. Do you kno of any other way to control the fuel in out cars? Any way that i could help out my low end without an afc...maybe something else I could buy?

THanks

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
I will have to check the Yahoo archives, but I am sure someone got the S-AFC to work on an older mk2. Seems like it might have been Mike Lewitz on his 5/7mgte, but I can't remember for sure. There was quite a bit of discussion about it. Seems that '83-'86 was fine, but the '82's had to do something a little different.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
no not true according to 85turboMk2... any pre-85 has the rectangle type TPS and its a 3 wire unit. Im not sure about the 85 up but I know they are more wires, and one goes to knock sensor. In the ecu I know of a few pins that are differnet as well as not haveing th knock sensor pin nor a knock sensor.

In order for me to make this work i will need an 85 TB with all sensors attached, 85 ecu, knock sensor, rewire a lot of things in the main harness for them to reach the appropriate spots on the ECU and probably even more... to me this is just completely not worth it to run an afc and noone told me nor do I think many people know about this. So let me be the test dummy for future tuners who want to use an afc on the stock 5/6M motors that were pre-85....

I will be selling my brand new afc-2 for this reason and my only question is to everyone is: Is there ANYTHING else out there than can be used to correct/adjust fuel patters in any other way that is user friendly like the afc? ANything for our cars that has worked in the past, or does everyone just click a few spots on the AFM and leave it at that (even though rough idling, crappy low band and all that prolly exists)...

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
I wouldn't give up so easily without looking at all alternatives.

I'm going to check the TSRM's and the Yahoo archives to find the differences in the wiring and ECU's. I have the same situation as you (square TPS), but I still have my 6M TPS, throttlebody, '85 ECU(A/T though), and somewhere, an 85 harness.

I really don't want to swap the harness, so I'll see what needs to be wired in to make it all work.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Just do what I did. Instead of using the TPS reference, use a boost sensor reference.

Now my SAFC works with RPM/Boost instead of RPM/TPS. It is much more accurate now.

You will need a boost sensor from a supra or mr2 to finish this.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
You'll have to be more descriptive; I'm S-AFC illiterate :confused:

So no TPS setting? A few installation details please...

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well for that matter you should be able to use any map sensor. however I would see how the stock toyota MK3 unit would be desirable do to the boost/voltage range it has, since I wont be running more than 9psi anyway (which is 100%). But other could just be using and generice GM 1 Bar map sensor (like the ones I use for my VPC on my talon) and they could be referenced this way. This is how my talon is settup, I just didnt even think of it cause we have no sensors...etc but this is a fantastic idea!! i will definetly try and get one of these, power it and run it soley for the afc....

Any idea what the stock turbo sensors look like?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts