Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im doing the the engine swap and in doing so i want to paint..mabey, and redo the interior. im really hoping to use the dash of an later model with up graded gauges and if possible still have the gauge lights changed, to blue.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Re: Anything from the later models fit into the oldschool be

Chu said:
im doing the the engine swap and in doing so i want to paint..mabey, and redo the interior. im really hoping to use the dash of an later model with up graded gauges and if possible still have the gauge lights changed, to blue.
Chu,

1) What model year Supra do you own and what year are you hoping to transplant parts from? (very important)

2) If you're planning on using parts from say...a MkIII or MkIV, it's not going to happen easily without serious custom fabrication.

3) Changing gauge light color to blue is relatively simple. Remove the instrument cluster hood and the instrument cluster itself: http://www.internetmediastudio.com/supra/cluster.jpg

The bulbs have little colored "condoms" on them and they're green. I removed mine completely and I have bright white light now. Looks very nice and modern. Some MkII instrument clusters have plastic hard covers that have to be removed (behind the panel) to eliminate the green bulb color.

When you're saying "upgraded gauges" are you meaning you have an 85mph speedometer and you want the 130mph unit instead? That's an easy swap to make, just takes time and a little patience.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hmmmm

i have a 85, so the 86half -92 dash will not fit?? has any one done this?? what about the front emblem i cant stand the celica supra and the side peices that say celica supra how would you change that or cover it up i did see ones from a celiac that had a silver bird but i dont know what that bird means it would look alot better. Is there any way to get the blue print of the dash and messurement of my car and the later model so i can custom fit it Those peaces are called condoms?? no other name, it would be very weird to go in to a hardware store and ask for that. do alot of stores carry them

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Re: hmmmm

Chu said:
i have a 85, so the 86half -92 dash will not fit?? has any one done this?? what about the front emblem i cant stand the celica supra and the side peices that say celica supra how would you change that or cover it up i did see ones from a celiac that had a silver bird but i dont know what that bird means it would look alot better. Is there any way to get the blue print of the dash and messurement of my car and the later model so i can custom fit it Those peaces are called condoms?? no other name, it would be very weird to go in to a hardware store and ask for that. do alot of stores carry them
You're talking about putting the dash from a MkIII into a MkII. To the best of my knowledge nobody has ever done this with any level of success. I mean, the dimensions will be different, and the wiring will not match up. It would take so much hacking and custom fabricating that I can't imagine anyone even trying to swap dashes between the two cars.

You don't like the stock emblems? Ooooooooo k. You would have to talk to a body shop about that. Probably requires body filler, priming and repainting. As for the side pillar posts...I have no clue how you would delete those badges without ruining the plastic covers. (By the way, the bird you're talking about on the Celica Supra badge is actually a dragon.)

Everyone I have every talked to about the bulbs in the dash instrument cluster has called them "bulb condoms". You can substitute the word "condom" for "sleeve" or "cover". I mean...tell the guy at a parts store what you're wanting to do...and he'll know what to get for you. I have seen "bulb color sleeves" at Advance Auto and Kragen too. Just ask someone to help you with that. Toyota might also have them at the parts counter or something...or they might be able to get you blue ones that are for another Toyota car (perhaps).

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
What fits?

I'm pretty sure the cigarette lighter from the MkIII will fit the MKII. :lol:

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
changing over the whole dash would be a major project, and i think if your going to do that, you had best change over the whole wiring harness, and probably install a 7mgte as well.

stupid as it sounds, i think doing all that would be less work than trying to hack the mkII and mkIII harnesses together.

supraracer is right about the front badge, if you want to remove it, if you just want to change it, then why not modify it.
carefully take a knife and cut away the plastic, then print out a new badge, maybe a big R or the toyota emblem or something, then get some clear drying resin from a hobby shop, and cover it back up.

the side badges could be modified in a similar way, but youd have to find a design first.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hmmmm

I plan on doing the engine upgrade more then likely paint, engine, interior in that order or i mite repaint it white with some splats of some wild color. The mk3 emblem wont fit?? I think i have an idea on how to make the dash thing work yes yes or i mite just redo the whole thing in some paintable medal i oddly i think that would be more work

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
I've always called them bulb condoms as well, i've been thinking of doing this soon as well...my interior is blue and thought of buying blue condoms for my 85 so that i could give it a better look. Good luck finding them at a toyota dealer though, i don't beleive that they use blue on any dash's and you can't just order the condoms they come on the bulbs...lol

·
Registered
7,111 Posts
maybe the cup holders from a mk3 and mk4 :confused: :rotfl:

·
Super Moderator
10,546 Posts
funny guy!

The most you can hope for is their seats and steering wheels, and both of those are not straight drop in things. Oh, I know! Floormats! Those will drop right in!

Sorry :D . As for the emblems, if your really lucky you can find some early 82 emblems of an ltype supra they don't actually say CELICA anywhere on them, just supra. Same dragon in the back ground though.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
The Fast and The Furious 2 is out on DVD

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
so the older emblems dont have celica writen on it

what about the side peaces same? will they fit on my 85 if so who has a set??

·
3,283 Posts
Re: so the older emblems dont have celica writen on it

Chu said:
what about the side peaces same? will they fit on my 85 if so who has a set??
aight, the emblems.... the mkII is a life raft, the MKIII emblem is... hmmm.... say for the sake of argument, a 30ft sail boat. in other words, it's a wee bit larger than the MKII's. you'de have to custom fit those, (body shop or whatever)

it would probably take an act of God, then congress (in that order) to get a set of just "supra" emblems off anyone.

I would tend to agree, if you're going to change the dash out, it would probably be easier to put in all the MKIII electronics and call it a mkII.5 with wild colored splotches. :suicide:

I'm sure the cupholders ARE interchangable from all year Supras. :joke:

Mike

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i guess i didnt make the last spill of words clear sorry

suprafiend said there are some emblems from the 82 or so that have just supra and the dragon no celica words thats what i want will it fit on my 85 or an 86 if so does any one have this emblem for sale and does the side peaces from the 82 have the same thing in the design??? mkII.5 correct me if im wrong mwebber if i did the engine swap couldnt that make my 85 considered as a mkII.5 or a mkIII do to the upgrades so why would it make a difference if i changed the dash to that or somethen customized??

·
3,283 Posts
Re: i guess i didnt make the last spill of words clear sorry

Chu said:
suprafiend said there are some emblems from the 82 or so that have just supra and the dragon no celica words thats what i want will it fit on my 85 or an 86 if so does any one have this emblem for sale and does the side peaces from the 82 have the same thing in the design??? mkII.5 correct me if im wrong mwebber if i did the engine swap couldnt that make my 85 considered as a mkII.5 or a mkIII do to the upgrades so why would it make a difference if i changed the dash to that or somethen customized??
Yes, the early 82 emblems will fit exaclty. there is no changes in dimention or mounting. However, finding someone to sell you a set of the emblems would more or less be impossible. They are a VERY rare item!

no, most people consider the 7M swap an upgrade. swapping in an engine, and the whole dash... that's getting into mkII.5 territory.

take it or leave it, my oppinion is, if you want a MKIII dash... just buy an MKIII. I'm not telling you to do the dash swap or not to do it. I've even considered it a few times until I actually sat in one and decided if I were to go through all that trouble, I'd just swap in a MKIV dash and be done with it. overall, my point is, do what you want, it's your car, just because I wouldn't do something to my car doesn't automatically mean you shouldn't.

·
Super Moderator
10,546 Posts
the easiest way to get a set of those emblems, is to buy your self an 82 supra ltype, and not all of them have them too. I think some of the early ptypes came that way too. My old 82 ptype had the supra side emblems, but a celica supra front emblem. I'm guessing it was snatched and replaced at some point in its life. And yes I have a complete set of supra emblems, and no I will not sell them :D

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Re: so the older emblems dont have celica writen on it

mwebber said:
I'm sure the cupholders ARE interchangable from all year Supras. :joke:

Mike
Hey Mike I finally got the MKIV cup holder on my MK2 :wink: :joke:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts