Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how hard are they? how many do i need to buy to do the whole engine? and do i need to take the head off to do them or can i leave it on?..oh and one more question not related to valve stem seals, how much horsepower could i expect to gain with a port and polish on a 5mge? help/advice is appreciated :thumbsup:

·
Registered
347 Posts
Its best to take the head off , although there is a tool you can buy to compress the valve spring but you'll need an airline to keep the piston bore pressured and that keeps the valve in place.
Like me most of the guys on here that have done valve stem seals have gone down the route of removing the head as lets face it, the youngest gasket on any Supra now will be 24 years old and well overdue for a fresh one.
This is the tool you could buy...
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/KD-Tools-Univ...UK_Measuring_Tools_Levels?hash=item48347ce4e6

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
is better to take the head off, it will be much easier, i tried to do it with the head off, and with that KD tool which i am not use to , plain the head, put new seal, new headgasket, and a valve job.

·
Registered
511 Posts
It can be done with the head on if you want, you need 12 valve stem seals, a valve spring compresser for overhead cams (autozone can loan you one for free) and the Haynes manual, it has a very good description on the job. Not very hard to do, will take a full day.

·
Founding Member
6,522 Posts
Its merely a lot of tedious work. Search on here for valve stem and "rope trick" and you will find many useful threads describing how to do it.

·
Super Moderator
8,564 Posts
The 5M is pretty easy to do valve seals on. Much easier than the newer engines with tappet cups and twice as many valves.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
Its merely a lot of tedious work. Search on here for valve stem and "rope trick" and you will find many useful threads describing how to do it.
Yay, looks like I am not the only one that knows about the rope trick, eventhough I have posted the idea of it on here many times.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts