Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe a litle longer for this guy.

Leave everything for a year, then come back and try and resume. I wonder what his girlfriend thinks of all this :zzzzz:

Only reason I posted this is the fact he's entrusting this trip to a Yota haha. If you read, he says the only thing he'd trust for the trip is a Land Rover. The dude's got this planned out, it's a really good read IMO.

Any questions, comments, concerns?

·
Registered
599 Posts
Someones comment within that link....LOL !!

vilardsw Oct 31, 2009 8:59 PM
The tires that you have on the truck now are not off road tires. Look at your standard UN Vehicles and you will see the tires are of the heavy duty variety. That Toyota looks like it is all ready to go down Glen Cove Road and head east on the Expressway to the Hampton's Beaches! If you make it past Cupisoge Beach let me know. Undercarrige protection, Deep water crossing corrections to exhaust, intake and electric....why not forget the toyota and pick up a used Mercedes Unimog. Have a bottle of Beefeater Gin for emergencies...never know when you will need an antiseptic.

·
Super Moderator
8,369 Posts
Umm why would you risk going across Iran and Pakistan with New York plates and possibly an American passport? Listening to some of the peoples stories about what they do in Pakistan on business travel makes me want to stay way the hell away.

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
one giant pain in the ass for a year straight....not for me.

But it would feel pretty awesome if he completes it, i'd imagine it would be quite an experience.

Tires: I'd imagine he'll blow out a few sets....where is he gonna put those?
+ 1 for aaron's comment....good luck with packistan and iran. "what are you doing here? " - as they point an AK-47 in your face. "why, I'm driving around the woooooorld!" . yeah, that'll go over real well.

·
Supra since '86
5,472 Posts
Umm why would you risk going across Iran and Pakistan with New York plates and possibly an American passport? Listening to some of the peoples stories about what they do in Pakistan on business travel makes me want to stay way the hell away.
Tires: I'd imagine he'll blow out a few sets....where is he gonna put those?
+ 1 for aaron's comment....good luck with packistan and iran. "what are you doing here? " - as they point an AK-47 in your face. "why, I'm driving around the woooooorld!" . yeah, that'll go over real well.
What's funny about all this is, Pakistan and the US were big allies during the cold war. India has been at war with Pakistan for decades. Pakistan is trying to steal away Kashmir from India and no other country has said a word. Then there was the Mumbai attack by Pakistani citizens. No other countries cared.

Anyway, Henry Rollins (Black Flag and Rollins Band fame) visited Pakistan not too long ago to see what was going on politically and had no issues at all. Remember this a white guy sprinkled with ink. He stuck out like a sore thumb.

I guess it depends where in Pakistan they go. More problems in Iran I think.

I wish these guys the best of luck and hope they arrive home safe.

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
you know what I just realized....he chose a gasoline vehicle. wouldn't diesel be the better choice for availability?

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
It looks like he carries a French Passport, but still good luck with visas (he mentions that). We like to think it is easy to visit anywhere except war zones, but there are still quite a few countries with essentially closed borders. About 5 years ago a friend was working in Tashkent, Uzbekistan, which was the 4th largest city in the former-USSR = major city in the world. Getting a visa as a USA citizen would have taken 1-2 months even with me able to personally visit their embassy, and having an "invite." His company ended up pulling out of the country so I didn't go.

OTOH Rosie, a British long-distance hiker walked around the world a couple of years ago (2003-2008) - her writings of the Russian Far East and the gulag-built roads across the taiga are scary (you may have seen her on Martha Stewart, really).

I've also followed several touring cyclists (pedal powered) over the years doing around the world trips. There are several per year. While I've rode my bicycle across the USA, a round the world trip does not appeal to me.

I'm note he isn't doing this as a charity trip; those annoy me [why? When I was riding across country folks would ask me what charity I was riding for, like folks need a charity to exist? The charities have a racket going.]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts