Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im rebuilding a 5m-ge and have had recommended replacing original head bolts with ARP studs. First off, can anyone tell me why these are better? also, anyone know what a set is worth?

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I installed a set of ARP head studs, main studs, and rod bolts due to the project I am doing to my car... I have a 6MGE motor with a 2mm HKS MHG... well with ARP studs, you well have a better clamping force to the head, gasket, and block... that is better seal to protect your engine from sudden engine failure due to high boost... it is just the stock head bolts tend to stretch due to time and reuse... I think they call it torque to yield for they stretch once torque from the factory and the ARP are better bolts to start with and used by racers on their hi-performance motors... the studs are also better than bolts due to the bolts tend to twist during the tightening of the bolts while toquing the head down... the nut and stud prevent the twisting during the toquing sequence of the head...

JAY

·
Registered
302 Posts
You will want to go with the studs rather than the bolts to get accurate torque specs. search around the MK3 boards, there's quite a few threads about why these are better.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
When I purchased my set of ARP head studs, it was around $100 shipped from Summit Racing. If I remember right, the head bolts were only $10-20 cheaper for the set. Definitely go with the studs. You will need to ask for the 7m head studs, they don't make one specifically for the 5m. Cheers.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts