Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there fellow 86 Mk2 owners...

I'm trying to figure out how many Mk2's were built in 86. The only numbers I've ever seen show all Mk2's and Mk3's for 86 combined together.

If you wouldn't mind, please PM me with the following info.

Build date of your 86 Mk2 (from the plate on the end of the drivers door).
Last 8 digits of your VIN (from the plate on the dash or stamped into the firewall in the engine bay on the pass side).

As an example, so far I've found the following 86 Mk2's.
Aug 85 build, VIN G0172116
Unknown build date from an ebay auction, VIN G0176973. So, about 5000 were built for sure...

I'll share my findings with you.

Thanks.

·
Registered
516 Posts
:) Here in Vancouver I have seen 5 mk2 86 three black two two tone blue
One blue for $1500 the other blue for $2999 cnd

·
3,283 Posts
Dean said:
Hey there fellow 86 Mk2 owners...

I'm trying to figure out how many Mk2's were built in 86. The only numbers I've ever seen show all Mk2's and Mk3's for 86 combined together.

If you wouldn't mind, please PM me with the following info.

Build date of your 86 Mk2 (from the plate on the end of the drivers door).
Last 8 digits of your VIN (from the plate on the dash or stamped into the firewall in the engine bay on the pass side).

As an example, so far I've found the following 86 Mk2's.
Aug 85 build, VIN G0172116
Unknown build date from an ebay auction, VIN G0176973. So, about 5000 were built for sure...

I'll share my findings with you.

Thanks.
From what I understand from the limited research I've done is all 86 MKIIs were an 85 build date, had the third brake light added and maybe one other cosmetic thing....

I could easily be mistaken, but from what I understand, Toyota was retooling the plant the first half of the 86 production year for the mkIII.

Mike (let me know if I'm off on my info...)

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
Dean & Mike,

Correct, Toyota was still retooling the Tahara plant during at least the first 1/3rd of the model year. MKII's were still being made from August 85 to possibly December of 85. MKIII production started in January of 86, & they were in the North America showrooms in February.

On the Yahoo list, Archie Bowles had asked if anybody had a 86 MKII that has a December 85 production date. Don't think anybody replied.

Dean, you'll need to check w/ Archie as to what his sequential build# is on his VIN. He has mentioned that his Redpra is a November 85 production car.

Mike, the 86's have the 3rd brake light, the Fujitsu radios had AM stereo, and there were a few other things that I can't remember right now. I'll have to look at my copy of the 86 MKII Press Release that Archie sent to me.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys.

If anyone can get any more info to pass along, please do so. I'll share what I find out.

I've seen some cars on Ebay that give VIN's, but they never give production months from the door plates.

If you see any 86 Mk2's in your travels and can get that info, please pass it along.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
7,682 Posts
Dean, Chris is correct my build date is Nov 85 and my vin ends in 175861 Per the RA/MA microfiche its not clear if MK2s were made into December??
The fiche shows production numbers in Nov

I also have a '86 Fleet book that actually shows the '86 MK2 as a model with the minor differences that Mr. Eng mentioned :) Chris nor I have even heard of a '86 brochure for the MK2.

HTH

1 - 7 of 7 Posts