Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently I have one 85 celica supra with a manual transmission that's in rough condition and another 85 celica supra with an automatic transmission. My automatic is much cleaner and what I hope to put a 2jz into one day. My question is, would it be more beneficial to swap the transmissions now, in hopes of making my 2jz conversion easier down the road? I know ill replace my tranny when i do the 2jz swap. How hard would it be to get the right clutch cylinder and pedal if i don't? Also, I plan to sell my manual transmission so will putting an automatic in it mess it up in any way? Thanks for any thoughts or advice.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
2JZ turbo or non? The stock W58 won’t handle much boost on a 2J but is perfect behind a NA one.

·
Super Moderator
10,531 Posts
Yeah depends on your 2j plans I'd say. It's really just the pedal and hard line you need off a manual car if you are putting an r154 or t56 in that thing later on. A manual to auto swap? That's a lota work to make a worse car lol. Sounds like it's the best thing going for that car.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea but is it worth it to make my nicer supra have the 5 speed manual? Might just keep the other one as a parts car not sure. Thanks for the input

·
Super Moderator
10,531 Posts
Its not that hard to get the parts you need, but again, we have no idea what kind of 2jz swap you are talking about, or which transmission you will end up with...

·
Super Moderator
8,315 Posts
Yea but is it worth it to make my nicer supra have the 5 speed manual? Might just keep the other one as a parts car not sure. Thanks for the input
If it makes you enjoy the car more sure why not? These are probably one of the easier cars out there to do this on, especially if you have a donor car sitting right next to it. You can probably save a little bit of swap time by just getting the pedal and everything mounted first with the auto and then doing the trans when you swap the engine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts