Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The auto tranny in my supra is acting up and shifting erratically.
The speed sensor in the dash checks out as well as the TPS voltage
on the DG terminal. Before I start throwing money at the automatic, I am
considering swapping the auto tranny to a manual tranny in an 86
Supra MKII. I have a few questions for someone who has done it.

I assume I need the following:

Tranny
clutch pedal assembly
shifter and linkage
center console
slave cylinder and line

Anything else??

what about the drive shaft? are they interchangeable between standard
and auto?

What about mounts? the same?

Am I going to find a boogey man in the closet when I'm half way
through?

Thanks for the help,

Perry

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Perry,

If you go to the Yahoo Mailing List (you can get to it from www.celicasupra.com .. click on mailing list) and ask Shive Govel. He's done this exact swap not too long ago and can detail it pretty well for ya.

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
pcourtney said:
The auto tranny in my supra is acting up and shifting erratically.
The speed sensor in the dash checks out as well as the TPS voltage
on the DG terminal. Before I start throwing money at the automatic, I am
considering swapping the auto tranny to a manual tranny in an 86
Supra MKII. I have a few questions for someone who has done it.

I assume I need the following:

Tranny
clutch pedal assembly
shifter and linkage
center console
slave cylinder and line

Anything else??

what about the drive shaft? are they interchangeable between standard
and auto?

What about mounts? the same?

Am I going to find a boogey man in the closet when I'm half way
through?

Thanks for the help,

Perry

I think you need at least the front 1/2 of the D.S. Hell,all the auto cars I have worked on,even have the tab for the clutch master - slave line.
Mounts interchange.
Don't forget the flywhell,clutch and pressure plate.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Tranny Swap

I just got done with this last month. I traded some parts for a complete m/t car, so I had all of the parts. Here is what I ran into for problems:

1) Def. get the trans x-member from the m/t. You need the frt driveshaft half, as Norbie stated, too.
2) Installing the clutch pedal assy is straight forward, but a pain in the ass. I did not install the two bolts that go into the bracket verticaly throught the cowl. I had to trim a small piece fromt eh lt kick panel over the fuse box, as it interfered with the pedal movement.
3) Don't forget to provide for reverse lamps. I forgot to keep the wiring from the auto, so I have got to figure this out yet.
4) How to seal the floor around the shifter, as the hole is about 1/4 inch more forward, and leaves a space to the rear of the m/t shifter.

A small list of easy parts;
1) The plate between trans and engine are the same.
2) The consoles are the same.
3) It looks like the starters are the same.
4) The wire loom is easy to jump for the nuetral safety switch to be bypassed.
5) The lead from the clutch cruise control switch plugs right into the loom under the dash, allowing cruise to work correctly.
6) Holes are even cut into the carpet and padding for the clutch parts to be installed.
7) I removed the complete cooler lines assembly, cleaning up the rt side of the engine bay alot.
8) Speedo cable fits perfectly, same for both trans, appearently.

What a difference the trans made. I love the car now! It is soooo much more driveable. I also dig the 4.30 diff also, 5th gear at 70mph is 3200rpm with 245/45/16's.

e-mail me if I can do anymore for you.

Keith

·
Registered
28 Posts
Clutch line...

Oh, yeah. I bent a new tube for the clutch (3/16"), using metric to sae adapters on either end. I used a simple metric flex line at the slave cyld.

Keith

·
Registered
302 Posts
Keith's write up is very nice, but I would like to point out one thing. The upper mount for the pedal assembly is a MANDETORY thing. It was missing on my 84 L-Type, so I didn't attach it to begin with. After about 2 months, the whole pedal bracket cracked in half from the continuous flex. I ended up with a new pedal assembly, and fabricated a top mount of sorts with long lag bolts, some washers and nuts. I had to squeeze in there and drill two holes in the inner cowl area, then seal it with silicone when all done.

·
Registered
984 Posts
I just assumed that all the bare shells are assembled exactly the same at the factory. When installing components is when the decisions are made between auto and manual. Is there a "template" on the metal ( on tranny tunnel ) showing where to cut hole for the shifter ??? I know my 84 auto has bracket for slave and "holes" for the clutch master and was taking for granted that the pedals and shifter hole would line up perfect. Damn, thought I had all I needed now I gotta scrounge for a crossmember. I'm not tackling this till winter when I pull the engine for a 7MGTE swap but would welcome more info to mull over. Thanks guys
DJ

·
Registered
14 Posts
i am changing the W58 auto for a R154 manual and need to know if the crossmembers will be the same. Of if i need to change the crossmembers for brackets on the two transmissions. Will someone who has done the swap tell me what needs to be done.

·
Super Moderator
10,546 Posts
2 small things to add to this topic. The consoles are the same, but you'll need a shift boot for the manual tranny of course, and two, the radiators are differenent. But there shouldn't be any problems using an auto rad with a manual, just the other way around. Oh and the guage clusters are different as well, but you can probably use either in either case with no serious problems.

·
Registered
66 Posts
what did you guys need to lift the transmission? im thinking about attepting to do a conversion myself but i do not know how to.. :(

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
DongDong said:
what did you guys need to lift the transmission? im thinking about attepting to do a conversion myself but i do not know how to.. :(
for us... strong arms and tricky usage of 2x4's.

and i'm using an auto rad in my converted car with no problems whatsoever (aside from a tiny leak that's completely unrelated).

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
This seems to be the best auto to manual swap thread threre is. I'm gonna use the info here to plan my switch and as I do it I think I'll sumarize it with pictures of the process. :D Not to mention bumping it up for my own convenience. 8)

·
Registered
354 Posts
This question isnt totally on topic but I figured it would be the best place to help someone with the swap to a w58 and help myself in the process.

I have an 85 with a w58 5 speed, if anyone is going from an auto to the w58 I will be happy to swap the w58 crossmember for an auto crossmember with them.

Or if anyone has one for sale pls let me knoe.

I am going to a r154 and need the auto crossmember.

Thanks,

Scott

·
Registered
327 Posts
I did this swap last summer, my main problem was dealing with the Toyota dealership for the flywheel and pressure plate bolts. I only had to trim the metal for the shifter about an inch towards the radio. It is a very straight forward swap. I too didn't originally put in the top two bolts and cracked the pedal assembly. DO THIS THE FIRST TIME!!!!!!!! There are already holes in the firewall for the pedal assembly to bolt to the master cyclinder just pull out the rubber gromets. I think the second hardest part was getting the top two transmission bolts. I finally went down to my local hardware store and bought a pack of 1/2" extensions measuring between 20 and 30 inches. We dropped them through the shifter hole and ran them to the bolt and in 30 seconds they were both off. Good luck on your swap and if you need anymore help let me know. I would also suggest rebuilding your transmission with a gasket kit from toyota. I think I paid somewhere around 28 dollars.

·
Premium Member
3,656 Posts
I found my car ran better (timing advance curve, idle) with a MTM ECU and a dashpot adjustment as well...didn't see anyone mentioning that. Also...don't mix and match driveshaft halves...makes for some 5th gear vibration that only balancing can fix. Never plugged in the switch on the clutch pedal bracket...suppose that's why the damn cruise has never worked huh?

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
ra24man said:
I found my car ran better (timing advance curve, idle) with a MTM ECU and a dashpot adjustment as well...didn't see anyone mentioning that. Also...don't mix and match driveshaft halves...makes for some 5th gear vibration that only balancing can fix. Never plugged in the switch on the clutch pedal bracket...suppose that's why the damn cruise has never worked huh?
if you can figure out how to wire up whatever needs to be wired up to let cruise control work, I will be in your debt.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts