Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok everyone, last week I learned that my transmission is dieing! :cry: Instead of rebuilding it I am just going to make it standard. I got a list of all the parts I need from a website I found and from my local auto shop.

http://oz-enet.com.au/~peewee/gbox_conv_1.html

That is the website, it explains how to do it pretty good surprisingly but it dosen't do it good enough. If anyone who reads this has done this or knows someone that has done this please leave me a way to get in touch with you or just explain on here. Thanks

Travis

·
3,283 Posts
mechanically, it looks good.... a few things I would recommend....

get the clutch alignment tool ( you have no idea how many hours and how much frustration this little plastic tool can save.

get the torque specs for all the bolts you'll be using and use a good torque wrench....

I'm not sure if this is accurate or not... but if you're going to put your drive shaft in the shop... might as well just go ahead and get a single straight driveshaft, or swap in the one from the manual car.

The electrical stuff, I'm not sure of, mine came as a 5speed...

good luck and let us know how things go...

Mike

·
Registered
104 Posts
With the money your gon' spend on the conversion you mite as well look around for a used MK2, if you find one in decent condition (make sure it's a stick) then you can just part out anything you want from your current supra now..
-melly

·
Registered
7,111 Posts
Melly said:
With the money your gon' spend on the conversion you mite as well look around for a used MK2, if you find one in decent condition (make sure it's a stick) then you can just part out anything you want from your current supra now..
-melly
:werd:
IMHO I think your better of getting a mk2 with a 5spd to begin with. Then your set to go :3gears:

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
nothin wrong with swapping i dont think, just lots of work.

unless your paying to have the job done, then your getting foolish.

also, if youve got a minty supra with no rust and in great shape, it can take a long time to find another thats just as nice.
not to mention a lot of money.

clutch alignment tools are for old ladies... mad deep socket style for me :) or 1/2 inch extension pieces.
yes, i am ghetto, but it works fine.

you need the drive shaft from a manual trans car, i belive the auto one is longer... or is it shorter?

·
Registered
793 Posts
shorter, the auto trans is longer. I was gonna say, why take it to a shop, just pick one up from a manual car. Dont see why that wouldnt work.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts