Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm using a 5-speed radiator with my 1uz/automatic swap. I bought a cooler at the salvage from a Ford truck. I'm assuming it's a power steering cooler or who knows. It's 7"x10"x3/8" and will be placed well in front of the radiator right behind the grill directly in the airflow. I'm thinking it's a big enough for a stock engine/tranny/torque converter on a car that will be street driven and not raced.

Any of you guys with any real experience on this have a opinion if I'm right?

·
Registered
357 Posts
make sure it has at least as much surface area as the original transmission cooler. Transmission fluid temperature is critical, if it overheats you can balloon your torque converter, wreck seals, damage friction material, cause the fluid to become foamy, wrecking bearings, etc.

·
Registered
177 Posts
If you are going to experiment with a non OEM cooling system, you really should take the time to install a trans oil temp gauge. Essentially the hotter you run the tranny the faster the fluid breaks down and stops lubricating, and protecting the internals. You can google around for yourself but pretty much everybody will agree that below about 180 degrees transmission fluid is good for 100K miles. for every 20 degrees of increase in temps you half the life of the fluid. so 200 degrees = 50K; 220 =25K; 240=12.5K; 260=6250 ect... until around 350 when you pretty much kill the tranny in 5-10 min.

some good threads on bob the oil guy...

·
Premium Member
6,214 Posts
I monitor my ATF temps. IF it gets to 200*, I pull over and pop the hood.
NO WAY will I drive any farther.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts