Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to get your opinions on this.
I just picked up a brand new automatic transmission radiator in a package deal with an engine I bought. I currently have a manual transmission supra, and the built in trans oil cooler will go unused. I was wondering what you all thought of piping the engine oil system thru it?
The engine oil pressure cant be much higher than the transmission oil pressure its already rated for.
If I use semi-ridged lines (braded stainless) there cant be that big of a drop in oil pressure.
Only real issue in my mind is if the engine oil would super-heat the coolant for not a whole lot of gain?

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
why do u need an oil cooler, oil cooler are thicker than the trans cooler....

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
why do u need an oil cooler, oil cooler are thicker than the trans cooler....
No real 'need' for one. Just for added life on the engine, that and if i do decide i want to turbocharge the 5mge it will help cut down on the added heat the turbo puts into the mix...

·
Registered
598 Posts
I wouldn't bother using the rad cooler. You would be better off getting a separate oil cooler and mounting it in a place with proper air flow....in fact this would also be my suggestion for cooling the auto tranny fluid.

Rick

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
If it's na dd, an oil cooler will prolly reduce engine life slightly since engine/oil warm up time will be increased.

·
Registered
637 Posts
even if it was a DD would it work in hot weather like the one we have in california in the summer?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts