Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just read a post about someone's transmission problem. Apparently, when the car is cold, it doesn't want to shift. Oddly enough, mine is doing the same thing. I typically drive the first half mile in the morning in 1st gear, then 2nd gear hits. Then another 2 miles in 2nd gear. Then 3rd hits. By the time i hit the freeway, 4 miles from home, the car is warm and shifting properly.

HOWEVER, no matter what time of day, no matter how warm or cold the car is, 1st gear sounds like metal on metal. Doesn't appear to be an issue at the moment, but I can't imagine that it's healthy for the car.

Wondering about doing a transmission swap.

From Wikipedia:

A43DE
Four speed automatic with lockup torque converter and electronic controls

Applications:

1982-1987 Toyota Cressida
1983-1986 Celica Supra
1992-up Suzuki Sidekick (4L30E)
1992-1998 Volvo 960/S90 (AW 30-43LE)​

I'm wondering if I have to get a transmission from another Supra, or if any of these cars is going to have a tranny that will swap right in???

If the Volvo is a possiblility, then a tranny from a 98 would be awesome! :naughty:

Does anyone have any insight on what my options are? AND, NO! I don't want to swap in a manual! I really need to know if I can broaden my search for a replacement auto tranny.

Thanks (in advance) for your help.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Much easier to just get a good used unit from the supra. No bellhousing/tailshaft swapping. No rewiring, no need to change the kickdown cable, and take a chance of screwing something up in the process. Of course, if you like the challenge, then by all means, get to work :)

BTW ... I just happen to have a spare auto or 3 sitting in the garage ;)

·
Premium Member
6,112 Posts
Those trans would be useful for good hard part replacement, but they are not drop in transmissions, other than the supra direct replacement. The individual trans unit has different extension housings, bell housings, and valve bodies..You could swap all the supra specific pieces onto one of those, but if problem is with supra piece, then.....Put up a trans wanted ad on this forum, or get yours rebuilt. I think I may even know of where there could be a "good used" Supra A43 waiting for you..Ah hell, Shawn beat me to it.

·
Registered
906 Posts
LOL, yeah Mike ... 3 test driven units, sitting in the shop for me to trip over :( and a tired, slow shifting unit, still in a parts car ... I'm "pregnant" with Supra parts again, LMAO.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
BTW ... I just happen to have a spare auto or 3 sitting in the garage ;)
OH??? Do tell!

I'm leaning towards a tranny swap because I absolutely will NOT attempt a rebuild. I'm not experienced enough in transmissions to know how to fix it. What I do know, is that if I try it, I'll ruin it.

I have an O/D light that blinks, and a first gear that makes an awful noise. Would you recommend a swap? Or should I have the current one looked at? Would you have a suitable replacement that's in good shape?

·
Registered
906 Posts
I'd swap in another, as the price of a quality rebuild is more than most of these cars are worth.

I have 3, in the garage, that I personaly drove, before the cars were parted, or had 7mgte swaps done.

Price, depends on how long you want one warrantied .... email is best, as I'm really only on here late at night, after work, or Sundays .... sp20_us at yahoo.com for phone #

Be around here for another hour, then after 5pm or so ... gotta go wire up a 7mgte and go work on Mom's motorhome. :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi, I'm looking at purchasing a Lancer 2001 - 2004 and am not familar with
gearboxes.

does anyone know how good the tiptronic gearboxes are in the 2001 - 2004
Lancers. How do the compare to the standard Auto transmissions.
I have heard that the tiptronic ones are encountering problems.
Is an auto more expensive to run and also service?
Cheers

Raleigh Painting | Childrens Upholstered Furniture | Empty Ink Cartridges

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So, hate to bring up old posts, but I thought I'd update on the current situation. First, the Supra sits idle in the driveway. The motor still runs, and everything is normal except for the damn tranny! Since I let the smoke out of it, the only thing that works properly is Neutral and Park.

Well, today I picked up a transmission with only 60K on it! And the price was almost too good to be true. So, this week, I'll be cracking it open, replacing seals and fluid and then begin the tranny swap next weekend.

Any tips and tricks for swapping a tranny in a driveway other than jacking the car up to the stars?!?

Also, I've never opened an automatic tranny before, but I'm willing to give it a go. Any suggestions are welcomed.

·
Premium Member
6,112 Posts
So, hate to bring up old posts, but I thought I'd update on the current situation. First, the Supra sits idle in the driveway. The motor still runs, and everything is normal except for the damn tranny! Since I let the smoke out of it, the only thing that works properly is Neutral and Park.

Well, today I picked up a transmission with only 60K on it! And the price was almost too good to be true. So, this week, I'll be cracking it open, replacing seals and fluid and then begin the tranny swap next weekend.

Any tips and tricks for swapping a tranny in a driveway other than jacking the car up to the stars?!?

Also, I've never opened an automatic tranny before, but I'm willing to give it a go. Any suggestions are welcomed.
Has the trans been sitting in a car, running in a car, or out in the woods? If it hasnt been outside, I would drain fluid, take pan off, drop screen/filter, clean that, and fill up the trans. No need to reseal if not leaking.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Great question, and I have the answer.

It's been sitting in a shop, under a work bench attached to an engine for 4 years. So, at the very least, I'm changing the filter and fluids and the front and rear seals. Other than that, I'm lost. My knowledge about automatic transmissions couldn't fill a thimble.

·
Premium Member
6,112 Posts
All right, sounds like youve got the right plan. :thumbsup: You may want to change out trans mount, also, depending on your old ones condition.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good call. I'll look into that as well.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Great question, and I have the answer.
I'm changing the filter and fluids and the front and rear seals.
Let me know how the front and rear seals go. I tried on mine and F' it up. For the rear seal, it looked like it need the bearing in the tail shaft housing to be pushed out also in order to get the seal out. I'm not a professional so that's why I F' it up.

·
Premium Member
5,567 Posts
everything is normal except for the damn tranny! Since I let the smoke out of it, the only thing that works properly is Neutral and Park.
I know that smoke is what makes things electrical work - you let the smoke out and they quit working. I didn't know it was the same case with these trannys. But that could be why I've shied away from autos in my Supras.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Honestly, I didn't know either, but live and learn, right? You're spot on in shying away from automatics, but this is what it has and I'm dealing with it. Maybe in the next year or so I'll pick up another MKII with a 5 speed and turn it into a monster, but until then, I'm just happy having a Supra in good shape. I consider myself lucky in that arena.

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
GL with the seals myself have never done anything to any trans except take them out. On my 98 ramAir trans Am I actually took it out and that amazed me replaced the clutch well my brother did and had the tran rebuilt by A pro. But at least we did the taken out putting in to save Alot of cash and did the clutch. Autos have no idea i hear they are a puzzle if you do not know what you are looking at. If you knew or know with 60k on it it was working just slap it in and you should be fine for another 60 with replacing the fluids and cleaning the screen. GL with the car. Alot of people on here swap in 5speeds not too hard if you have the time

·
Premium Member
6,112 Posts
Although Ive never rebuilt a trans, I sold parts to shops for years, and have R and Red quite a few. Front seal on these trannys is cake, remove pump housing, take out seal, drive in new one. Some of these trans have an outer O ring that can be available in a rebuild kit only. Rear seal requires tailshaft housing removal, not much harder, more to screw up. These trans had a rep as being somewhat fragile and expensive to rebuild back in the day, that has just gotten worse with time. Last local MKII that got trans rebuilt cost over $2500, and owner wasnt happy with work performed by the shop. Most parts are NLA, even at the used wholesaler level. Shawn, and others, have kept good used ones around, but most have hit the scrapper. You can rebuild a freekin Packard Ultramatic cheaper and easier..........

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I briefly talked with Shawn about a tranny, and he was willing to cough one up. I just went with this one as it was really close and almost nothing out of pocket. I'm kind of taking a gamble, what with not knowing its history though. :eekfacepalm: Who knows, if I have to go through this again, I may just cave in and swap in a 5 speed. May have to host a BBQ for the PNW family to get it done right... :thumbsup:

Until then, I'm optimistic and hoping for the best with this automatic.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
These trans had a rep as being somewhat fragile and expensive to rebuild back in the day, that has just gotten worse with time. Last local MKII that got trans rebuilt cost over $2500, and owner wasnt happy with work performed by the shop.
Maddy's trans was rebuilt by the P.O. Although its never had any significant problems it has become lazy. Shifts late, likes to quick shift from 2nd to 3rd, but it isn't annoying enough for me to swap in the spare. I'm not sure where it was rebuilt but the experience has left me weary of having another one done.:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 39 Posts