Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well last night i went to my friends house and put the 85 on the lift so we could swap the auto out. the one in the car is the origonal with over 200k and i was sure the front seal was prolly leaking some as well as the rear main. i have the trans from my 86 mk2 thats only got ~150k on it. so put new seals and filter in it and decided to swap it in. changed the rear main at the same time and it was in fact leaking. anyhow. all was well untill i removed the hardlines from he trans. the spun and twisted the lines up. argh!. well had to use compresson fitings and 5/16ths line to get it working so i could drive home. then this morning the logical idea hit me. i bought aother 5/16 brake line and cut it in half like before but this time slid the 5/16ths fittings off and put the metric ones from the old lines on. last night i put jb weld on the 5/16th threads to make it work and the pressure feed was leaking bad when i got home. put the new line in with the old fiting and its all good now. and seting the kickdown just right was new to me. took a couple tries to get it down shifting right. but this trans shifts soooooooo much better and takes off easier. idk, maybe that extra 50k of abuse i put on the old trans was more then i realized. or maybe its cause i swapped the convertor too. idk.

anyhow, i changed the gaskets on my exhaust only to find out the flang from the trd header to the hks cat is warped. got a 3/8ths gap at the top. i need to find a new 2 bolt 2.25in flange to weld onto the end of the header. thats gonna be fun. also drilled out the plug for the adjustment screw on the stock afm and backed it out in hopes it helps my gas milage. i only get 22-24 currently so anything will help as i drive 75 miles a day. anyway, that was my friday night. lol.

oh, and why dont the damn autos use dowels to line them up like the 5 speeds?

·
Registered
15,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
if i couldnt fix the lines i was gona have to do the 5 speed swap to this car which i dont want to do. savin those parts for the 86. only good thing ab out the auto is i get better mileage as i dont floor it cause its SLOOOOWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!! lol

·
Registered
552 Posts
Someone here was talking about a a340 swap and said he got better milage with it.. something to think about.. not sure if the newer auto is more effecient? Strange as the A43 has a better final ratio...

A340E Ratios 1st:2.804 , 2nd:1.531 , 3rd:1 , 4th:0.705

A43dl Ratios: 1st 2.452 2nd 1.452 3rd 1.000 4th 0.688 Reverse: 2.212

·
Registered
15,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Banned
137 Posts
well it cant spin drag radials from a roll in third like my 84 can
And? Just because you have a 7mgte and I have a 5mge and my car cant spin "drag radials" in 3rd doesnt mean its a terrible gearbox. I dont get what your trying to say. You trying to say it wont handle the power?

·
Registered
552 Posts
Auto = slushbox

5 Speed = more transferred power/control

·
Banned
137 Posts
i realize the drivetrain loss is more with an auto. dont get me wrong. Its not THAT bad though. Plus hes runnin an auto going to an auto. im just trying to figure out what he meant.
I think the mk2 supra is lucky to have as good of an auto as it has. There were some really bad ones out there the same years.. cough 300zx cough cough.

·
Registered
906 Posts
And? Just because you have a 7mgte and I have a 5mge and my car cant spin "drag radials" in 3rd doesnt mean its a terrible gearbox. I dont get what your trying to say. You trying to say it wont handle the power?
Auto's are dogs out of the hole. Also, the a43 will not handle any real power. They are also a PITA to swap, I've done a few.

The a340 is a much better unit, still a pain to swap, but, can be "worked" to handle a bit more power :) Still, off the line, they suck, trust me. My 83 was a 5m auto, now 7mgte auto.

A340 into an 84+ is a minor swap, very little to change in the wiring . vs. the PITA of the "correct" wiring, into an 83.

·
Registered
15,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well point me to how to change the wiring for an a340 as my friend has one i can have for free. and i said its slow as in the car is 5m auto. it IS slow. and i want to leave it auto as it isnt as responsive therefore less fun to drive so i wont floor it so ill get better mileage.

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
You wanna put an A340 in Will? Just re-pinning the plugs is all it'd take, wiring wise, AFAIK.

And my Cressy will stay auto for the same reason. I already drive it hard enough. It will stay auto till it gets a snail, even then I might keep it Junkie style!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts