Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At the end of next month is another autoX here in tampa at the florida state fair grounds. lets see how many florida MKII's we can get there this time. so far we had Wes and me at the one last month. and william showed up but did not race. GET YOUR BUTT OUT RACING THIS TIME WILLIAM AUTO OR NOT DO IT!

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'll come. I'll join the SCCA this week to learn about safety and class ruls but my guess is I won't be able to go stock.
I have Eiboch progressive rate springs, Tokico shocks and struts (I have gone thru two pairs of Tokico struts in 4 years :mad: ) I'm installing the third set this weekend. I have Addco swaybars. I've bent the endlinks on the front. Is this typical?
I just installed AVR Carbon kevlar pads on the rear and will install the fronts when I replace the struts this weekend. I just installed a home made rear strut tower bar out of square aluminum tubing. Noticable difference even with a sloppy front end. :x
I intend to have a 3 or 4 point front tower brace made by that weekend. I found 1" and 1 1/4" solid aluminum round stock in a scrap yard. (One of my clients owns Ocala Motor Parts which rebuilds engines for auto parts stores and custom racing stuff. Great pricing and he had five 5mge engines laying around.) Anyway, he said he would weld up the strut tower brace for me. Any pointers from you more experienced racers?
I'm in the process of building a 4" air ram setup as well.
Im running Falken 502 225/60/14's but have an extra set (4) of wheels. Should I buy hoosier's, yokahama's, or kumo's?
I also have a PaceSetter header that I modded to go from the 2" secondaries into a single 2 1/2 pipe w/ an O2 sensor bung at that junction. I was going to send it out to get it ceramic coated to try to keep the heat down. but right now have a stock exhaust.
By the way my car is an 85 5- speed with60 miles to go to the 200,000 mark. 165,000 on synthetic oil. When I put in fresh oil and run at 3,500+ rpms the oil pressure guage runs up close to the H :D
I'm planning to get the roll center adjusters from J King and was wondering if I could cut one coil off the top of my Eibach springfs? I thought it might drop me another 3/4 " or so. The new Eibauch's supposedly lower the car an 1": where as mine only claimed a half inch drop (purchased in '96)
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,969 Posts
Informational only: In SCCA autox Street Prepared and STS classes, front strut tower braces are limited to 2 pt attachment. Thus to strut towers only. I'd love a 4 or 5 pt attachment, that includes firewall, but not by letter of the rules. Maybe your club will slide on this.

For tires on stock rims, hard to beat Kumhos for value/performance. Yes, the Hoosiers are the best, I run them at all the Nat. Events, but I run Kumhos at home events. Try the Ectas V700. Newest compound should say 6A on the sidewall.

Also, roll center adjusters prohibited in SCCA Street Prep, STS classes. All is legal in Street Mod I believe. Lots of local clubs don't sweat these things, but some do, and big events its amazing what competitors look at.

Don L.

·
Registered
13,118 Posts
Dont sweat the performance mods before getting a season's worth of seat time. All the go-fast-addons will make you a bit faster, but you will infact lose sight of the actual goal of being a faster driver, not having a faster car. I run the Falken Zeix's on a completely stock mk2, but place extremely well even considering everyone else in my class run on Kuhmos or Hoosiers. I am pulling second in my class (out of 7-9) now and still dont have struts, swaybar, or tires.

www.moutons.org

That link goes to a set of rules and car classifications.

--BillyM
Viva La AutoX!

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Woah soomeone in Ocala! Holy sheepshit batman, more and more Florida folks popping up!!! Ill be coming from Gainesville so let me know if you want me to pull off at an exit on I-75 and we can caravan to the fairgrounds. I may just be going down on Sunday again though. If you join the SCCA at the event they will give you a punchcard that will give you your 4th event for free, so it might be good to wait. You will still get the discounted member price for the event too. Its $70 or if you are 21 or under its $35 for membership. Yeah your car sounds like either D Street Prepared or STX its always a toossup of what to run at events. I always run DSP, sometimes STX is a faster class and sometimes DSP is faster you never can tell.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Thanx to Don L., BillyM, and SupraWes!!! :D I have read your posts both here, on the yahoo group, and supra forums. I feel like I know a little about you guys and am honored with your quick replies.
I have a question about the front strut bar.
I probably should post this on the suspension list and if the moderator wants it there that is fine w/me.
I have 1 1/4 " solid aluminum round stock and 1". Is the 1 1/4" to much? It is a bit heavy... :? but it doesn't bend!
Also I have a Momo steering wheel in my(parked :oops:) 88. Someone had posted the adapter #on the Yahoo list but I can't find it.

P.S. I've had the Eibauch/Tociko/Addcco set up since sept of 95, so I am pretty accustum to it except that I have driven on blown struts for 5 years straight. :roll: I made a BAD choice in marrage and the ensuing Divorce and recovery has taken my focus of my poor, steadfast, reliable supras. :oops: Onwards and upwards! It's time to go racing! :D

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
You guys better be ready, Eibachs, Strut Mounts, and Tokicos are going on Saturday!!!!!! Im looking to pick up another second from this upgrade. See ya Sunday Sunday Sunday.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts