Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just want to know what’s up with my engine on my 83' P-Type. I have noticed that my car backfires a lot when I shift. Usually the faster I try and shift the more likely it is to backfire (note: I suck at shifting).

Also the overall tone of my engine is very “brumbly” (I’m not quite sure how to describe it). It sounds like a big block V8 or something. “Brumm Drrum Brumbl Burm Druum Brerm”. It just seems odd to me. I do have a loud exhaust but I don’t think that it is entirely to blame.

I get what seems to be poor gas mileage aswell. I haven’t actually tried to see how far I get on a tank, or what the miles per gallon is yet, but it really doesn’t seem to be too good.

Also I have Recently had a full tune-up and fuel injection cleaning by a reputable mechanic. And yet it still is backfires.

I kind of was thinking maybe my motor it is running too rich or something.

Yeah, any way, your thoughts would be great. Maybe this stuff isn't so abnormal and I'm just being stupid.

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
How many miles do you have on your 83 5MGE engine? Any aftermarket parts installed? What exhaust system are you running?

·
Registered
351 Posts
sounds like a timing issue perhaps.

·
Registered
733 Posts
An exhaust leak can cause backfiring. Might explain the exhaust rumble as well? Just something else to check.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It has just shy of 90,000 miles, which is sort of high, but not really considering it is 20 years old! Also I had a new timing belt put on right when I first got it several months ago. I can’t remember what kind of exhaust it is, it’s some small no name company. Other than the exhaust there are no other after market upgrades on my car.

You might be onto something with the leak in the exhaust system. I have noticed hot air coming out from the cat before when it was idling. But I think there is still something up with the engine.

Something else I thought of was maybe the O2 sensor has gone bad. Could that cause bad gas milage? However this is a total guess on my part…

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
Clogged or leaky fuel injectors can cause your gas mileage to drop and can also cause backfiring. :snipersm: Try checking your ignition timing first and also check the output of your 02 sensor. If both check OK then it wouldn't hurt to have your injectors cleaned.

·
Registered
38 Posts
What was the fix?

My car has same symptoms backfire between shifts, and kinda rumble mumble exhaust. Not smooth like it should I can't figure it out. WHAT WAS THE FIX? Mine is. 84 6mge non turbo, just air intake and exhaust mods...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts