Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I HATE to be this guy, but I need to ask. I've searched the forum, searched the internet and searched the facebook groups and NO ONE has a definitive answer on what ball joints fit the stock MKII control arms. After ordering the rock auto.com control arms and finding they have the wrong ball joints, I'm on a mission to find out once and for all, what I need.

The most popular part on rock auto.com is the MOOG K9085 unit. Can anyone confirm that this is indeed a ball joint that fits our lower control arms AND the steering arms?

Please dont hate me. If this gets a definitive answer, perhaps we can have it added to the parts list thread?

Thanks a bunch,

-Aaron

·
Registered
15,005 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
William, thanks for the confirmation on the balljoints.

I appreciate your help on a popular nagging question.

Any chance that this info can be posted in the thread regarding popular part numbers?

·
Registered
15,005 Posts
Link me to the thread and I will post it. I didnt see it stickied in the FAQ section and searching "Popular part numbers" didnt return anything either.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Be aware, that I have never really found pressing in replacement joints to work very well - they often come loose eventually. Some tack welds around the bottom can fix this, but makes cutting the joint out a real pain.

·
Registered
15,005 Posts
After they are pressed in, there is a snap ring that holds them as I recall. I put new ones in my 85 back in like 2010. Still going strong.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Yeah I had a set come loose even with the snap ring - they had about 1/8" of 'travel' up and down, and thumped when driving. Ended up going to the full adjustable front control arms from T3.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
790 Posts
I have the moog ball joints from rockauto. Both had some wiggle in them after installing the snap ring. I ended up putting two tacks on the ouside (wheel side) and one on the inside (control arm bushing side). They have not come loose yet

·
Tomitoyo
37 Posts
Hello, I do not want to bother, but this is the last thread I found on the subject of the ball joint lower, an I have too a problem with them. Please could someone tell me the brands and their corresponding references valid for our MKII ??? Thanks

·
Registered
893 Posts
Hello, I do not want to bother, but this is the last thread I found on the subject of the ball joint lower, an I have too a problem with them. Please could someone tell me the brands and their corresponding references valid for our MKII ??? Thanks
The general concensus seems to be that Moog is used the most.

https://www.celicasupra.com/forums/showthread.php?65700-Ball-Joints-Beck-Arnley-VS-Moog/page2&highlight=balljoints

SupraSub does some truly beautiful automotive work so when he says that Moog works, I listen.

The list of brands that I would use would be:

Moog K9085
Beck/Arnley 1014140
Raybestos 5051092

It sounds like problems retaining the press fit ball joints usually come down to the holes wearing larger than the original diameter, making a solid press fit difficult.
Most people with this problem ended up tack welding the ball joints to the control arms.

Dale

·
Tomitoyo
37 Posts
Thank you very much for the information, I will buy the parts I need today at Rockauto. This forum is helping me a lot ... Regards

·
Tomitoyo
37 Posts
I have already received from Rockauto and installed in my supra mk2 (European version) successfully the following spare parts:
He recibido ya de Rockauto e instalado en mi supra mk2 (versión europea)con éxito los siguientes repuestos:

MOOG K9085 (Rótula de suspensión)
MOOG EV167 (Rótula axial de dirección)
BECK/ARNLEY 1013712 (Rótula de dirección)
MOOG KT00530 (Enlace barra estabilizadora)
MOOG K90531 (Buje de barra estabilizadora)

·
Premium Member
7,607 Posts
TT Nice work!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts