Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
13,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lots of things annoy me (imagine that), and one of those key annoyances is barking dogs. It is my "fingernail on chalkboard" so to say. Somehow, no matter where I go, I end up next to some noisy dogs. This time, happy home owner, I've ended up with two neighbors with yapping-ass dogs. Both lock their dogs (total of 5 dogs) in a 5x10 cage against my fence line.

-If they see a squirrel, they bark, then the others bark, then they bark at the others, and back and forth for thirty fucking minutes.
-If they hear a car horn, they bark, then the others bark, then they bark at the others, and back and forth for thirty fucking minutes.
-If I walk into my back yard to pick up sticks, they bark, then the others bark, then they bark at the others, and back and forth for thirty fucking minutes.
-If I let my screen door shut without letting it "click", they bark, then the others bark, then they bark at the others, and back and forth for thirty fucking minutes.
-If it's dark out, they bark, then the others bark, then they bark at the others, and back and forth for thirty fucking minutes.

...get my point? Keep in mind, I didn't buy a tiny lot, I'm chilling on just at an acre so I could have some peace and privacy...

I'm generally not an imposing fellow. I think everyone has a right to do what they'd like whether or not I like it. ...but any more I find myself awake at 3am, listening to these dogs. I'll be watching a suspenseful movie, a quiet build-up point, and of focusing on the suspense, I'm hearing these dogs just barking away. It's driving me crazy.

I need it to stop. The owners are unlikely to do anything. If they were concerned with their animals well being, they wouldn't be locked in a 5x10 cage in the back corner of their lots 24-7. I would prefer there be a humane answer that doesn't rely on my deadbeat ass neighbors, so please let me know how you guys have dealt with this issue.

...or do you just deal with it? Is it something that I should simply put up with as a way of life? I don't own anything that makes excessive noise and keeps my neighbors awake at night, am I failing to exercise my right to do so?

--BillyM

·
Registered
637 Posts
Have you spoke with them? lol i know what you feel, about 3 years back over in my old house i had the same situation happening to me. whether it was the ice cream man, train, fire truck, alarm, fuck it got annoying. so i spoke with them telling them if they don't take care of it i will call animal control and show them the bad environment these poor dogs were living in.

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
Yes. Rev limiter with the exhaust pointed at their houses.

Seriously, you have
renovate,
move or
'try' contacting some agency about animal abuse.

Before that later, I'd suggest try to talk to them so you can figure out if that will cause more unwanted issues then you have(ie keying and other vandalism).

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
Have you spoke with them? lol i know what you feel, about 3 years back over in my old house i had the same situation happening to me. whether it was the ice cream man, train, fire truck, alarm, fuck it got annoying. so i spoke with them telling them if they don't take care of it i will call animal control and show them the bad environment these poor dogs were living in.
How did that go?

I myself have a 'Cat Lady' beside me. I've taken 23 cats to the OSPCA in about a 4 month span. Never mentioned it to her, not that this helps you, since they aren't stay, and that would be an expensive large cage to catch them in.

·
Registered
637 Posts
it went very good hahahahahaha. lol

23 cats? shit man my old front door neighbor had 46 cats at one point,
how do you think her house smelled? lol me and my friend still laugh at how it took him 5 years to find out that he was the smelliest kid in jr high. :zzzzz:

How did that go?

I myself have a 'Cat Lady' beside me. I've taken 23 cats to the OSPCA in about a 4 month span. Never mentioned it to her, not that this helps you, since they aren't stay, and that would be an expensive large cage to catch them in.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
haaaaaaa..... Im soo sorry billy, but I just broke out laughing!
Try this, when one barks throw in a hot dog or
food or squirt them with a garden hose. or try both
take a video of the food part please :)

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
haaaaaaa..... Im soo sorry billy, but I just broke out laughing!
Try this, when one barks throw in a hot dog or
food or squirt them with a garden hose. or try both
take a video of the food part please :)
Not food then they will learn that bark = food.

I only caught 23 myself, they were/are like vagrants, probably not really hers, just hanging around the watering hole. And yes, I've smelt it a bit! :SM130 (1):

·
Registered
13,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Moonpie, Seriously, dog bark + food = more barking. Horrible idea. 0/10. Fail.

Don't think I've done nothing. At first, the three dogs in the back corner of my lot (200ft from my house) were absolutely horrible. They would see movement at my house and bark for hours. I put up three sections of fence to at least keep it to where I could walk out to my car without the trio of terror going to town. I can now enter my house or walk to my driveway without those dogs barking, but they still bark at everything else, easily 1-2 times an hour for 15-20min.

While installing them (wore ear plugs the whole time) the older black gentleman came outside with a newspaper to show me how in-control his dogs are, and while he was out there for about ten minutes they went into three or four barking frenzies and took quite a bit of newspaper smacking and yelling on his part to quiet them back down. He gave up and went inside... He realizes full well that it is bothersome to others, just doesn't care enough to take control.

The in-control dogs, I have never antagonized, just worthless fucking dogs:

Yes. Rev limiter with the exhaust pointed at their houses.

Seriously, you have
renovate,
move or
'try' contacting some agency about animal abuse.

Before that later, I'd suggest try to talk to them so you can figure out if that will cause more unwanted issues then you have(ie keying and other vandalism).
I really don't think I'll get far. Again, if they gave two shits, they wouldn't have their dogs caged up in the farthest back corner of their lots and would have fixed the issue when I was forced to build a fence. I am also not going to waste my time with "agency" reports. I do like the car idea though, just can't bring myself to "well, you're making noise so I'll make noise" response.

...anyone ever used any of those ultrasonic bark deterrents? On those nights that I wake up to barking, I lie in bed thinking up and designing 150+db ultrasonic arrays causing absolute agony and pain at the push of a button, that helps me sleep....

--billyM

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Nice way:

Buy both neibours a anti-bark coller and leave it on thier doorstep as a hint.

Nasty way:

1. Set them loose at 3:00am. (They must have broken out.:naughty:)
2. Complain to Animal Control that they are running free, scratching your door, running deer is a doosy if your rural enough, ect.
3. Repeat at least once a week untill problem resolves it's self.

Most effective way: (and my likely choice)

A ultrasonic assult, at a high enough frequency ... thier owners won't even hear it. (plug in Mouse deterrents would be a great source to amplify with an old stereo.)

Two directional, outdoor loud speakers pointed right at thier cages. Use it as a "training tool" on a switch. When they bark ... they get blasted.

It would be awsome to trigger it automaticially with a motion sensor or photography sound trigger.

I've used a motion sensor light wired to a water solinoid and sprinkler to keep dogs off grass fresh seed. Worked great!

·
Registered
13,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Nice! I'll start printing out fliers now.

HONDA CAR SHOW! FREE ENTRY! ONE GIRL IN A BIKINI! ONE PACK OF FREE HOTDOGS! SHOW UP AT 2AM, FREE PARKING AND BURNOUT CONTEST IN MY BACK YARD!

Seriously, has anyone run into this issue? There is barking regulation in Greenville, so I may approach it legally speaking. I'd love to have a animal control agent come take a stroll through my back yard. Maybe I'll set up chairs and have iced-tea in my small clearing, have him take a seat and just enjoy the BARK BARK YAP YAP FUCKING BARK. Oh, I'm sorry, what did you say officer? I'm unable to hear you over the wonderful sounds of nature.

Arsenic hotdogs are sounding like a better idea each and every day.

--billyM

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Holy shit, Billy. Are you sure you didn’t move into my neighborhood? I had the exact same problem when I moved into my house. The neighbor across the street and 2 houses down had a small, chain link pen (approx. 5x10-12) built next to his garage. The pen must have contained 4+ dogs along with 2 or 3 dog houses. Honestly, I couldn’t tell the exact number due to the yapping. Miraculously, one of the dogs never barked. In addition to this pen, he also kept one male dog chained to a dog house that resided in his driveway. The chain on that poor dog was no more than 7ft. and had no access to grass, he walked on the concrete 24 hours a day. These dogs were left outside year round; 95 degrees with 90% humidity with a big ball of sun in the sky on a summer day? They were outside. 15 degrees, 20 mph winds and sleet during a winter night? They were outside. He kept their food in a large garbage can outside. The dog on the concrete driveway always had his bowls knocked over due to the chain (Not the dogs fault.) so I would imagine the dogs in the chain link pen rarely had accessible food and water either. The few times I did see the guy arriving home from work and actually tending to his dogs they would be “attacking” him for the food. He’d yell at them and beat them down because they were jumping. Shit, asshole. It’s because they’re hungry and thirsty and you treat them like shit when they’re excited for their basic needs for survival.

Anyway, these dogs would bark very similar to what you described. Day or night, didn’t matter. The wind would blow and they’d fucking bark for 30 minutes or an hour or until they were tired and needed a nap. There were times I’d stand in front of the guys house, middle of the day, just staring at the fucking dogs. Of course, there’d be crazy barking at that point. The guy never got the point. There were times I stand in front of the dudes house for an hour at 1am, 2am, 3am and just stare at the dogs. Of course, there’d be crazy barking at that point. The guy never got the point. I’d stand in front of the dudes house at 1am, 2am, 3am YELLING at the fucking dogs for 45 minutes. The guy never got the point. I have an extremely boooooming voice so it was very easily heard over those fucking dogs. (I’m sure my other neighbors sure appreciated me doing that too. LOL! Just trying to help, guys.) This went on for a few years. I never actually talked to the guy in person but would yell at him on occasion when he was outside and the dogs were barking. It’s like he was totally oblivious to the fact that his dogs were annoying to everyone else in the entire fucking neighborhood but him. I believe they were barking mostly due to hunger and thirst. Just trying to get the assholes attention to give them those basic needs. It was obvious that he didn’t give a shit.

I like to sleep with the windows open on a nice spring, summer or fall night. The cool breeze wafting in, the smell of dew, an owl who-who, the distant train whistle – ahhhhhhhh, nice and relaxing…….THEN THOSE FUCKING DOGS START BARKING for the next 2 hours. Not shitting. They’d bark, none stop, for hours. Either one of them or all of them, for hours on end.

Coincidently, they also had a tiny dog they kept inside their house. Whenever they let it outside on a leash, while they stood on the front porch holding the leash and watching it poop the little fucker wouldn’t shut up either. I think these neighbors must be fucking deaf – except that I can hear them speak when they’re outside.

A few years ago it all ended. I wasn’t home at them time but another neighbor (who lives directly beside the dog dude) told me what had happened. Apparently, someone in the neighborhood must have called animal control. Police arrived in the afternoon soon followed by an animal control wagon. They must have been informed of the poor conditions in which these dogs were being subjected along with the nuisance they were causing at all hours. They rounded up the majority of the dogs and hauled them off. According to my neighbor, the “owner” was outside during the ordeal saying something in effect, “My dogs, my dogs! Why are you taking my poor dogs?” Over and over. As if he was completely oblivious to how he had been mistreating these creatures.

The dogs, that I could see, and based on the male chained in the driveway, were some sort of bull, like pitbull or similar.

In short, sometimes talking and attempting to reason with the “owner” does little to nothing to resolve the problem. Especially if the guilty party doesn’t believe they’re doing anything wrong in the first place because the dogs, after all, are on their property. Unfortunately, at that point, your best bet would be a call to animal control and read to them, word for word, your very first post.

Bark at the moon.
Scott

1 - 20 of 63 Posts