Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure how often you guys frequent Bring a Trailer, but I checked it this morning and there's an 84 for sale. Right now there's five and a half hours left in the auction and the price is already at $35k. The car's in wicked good condition but it's crazy to me how much the price of these cars has jumped in the past few years and how it seems to keep on climbing. Anyways, I thought I'd just share it with you guys.

Auction can be found here: 1984 Toyota Celica Supra 5-Speed

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
Also curious to see how this MK1 does. Was going to post them but you beat me to it lol

Reactions: jemattson18

·
Super Moderator
8,564 Posts
Unfortunately just about every other car has gone up massively at the same time so I feel like we're just treading water. I've been looking for a muscle car as a new project and it seems like now it 30k to get a completely rusted out one if you want one of the popular body styles.

They kind of ruined that car putting the window tint on it IMO.

Reactions: 1982 Dragon

·
Registered
182 Posts
Unfortunately just about every other car has gone up massively at the same time so I feel like we're just treading water. I've been looking for a muscle car as a new project and it seems like now it 30k to get a completely rusted out one if you want one of the popular body styles.

They kind of ruined that car putting the window tint on it IMO.
No kidding. I keep thinking about selling a vehicle while values are high as I really don't need three vehicles just for myself. If I were going to buy something else though, it wouldn't make any sense. Much like selling a house right now and trying to build new. Bad idea.

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
100%

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
That same car sold for 34.5K last year, 37K this time.
Was topped only by an auto 85 SDR at 38K i think last Fall.

Yes, many models are going up in value.

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
Wow!! The MK1 is at 31k already!! Sweet

·
Super Moderator
8,564 Posts
That Mk1 is ridiculously clean. The Toyota CB radio is pretty unique to find these days. Almost 40k for a Mk1 is a huge nope for me though.

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
That Mk1 is ridiculously clean. The Toyota CB radio is pretty unique to find these days. Almost 40k for a Mk1 is a huge nope for me though.
Hater! Lol jk.
That’s nuts. Didn’t even see the CB, nice.
I hope these things go through the roof. There are like none left now... so who knows

·
Founding Member
6,522 Posts
Granted its spectacular condition, but outside of the CB radio, its not highly optioned and isn't even a 5sp. This is perfect example of what can happen when a couple of rich guys come together at an auction. Its no longer about the value of the car, but about not letting the other guy win. One bidder wants it apparently because he's already got one of every other color and another has one of each of the other generations. A third hasn't made his motivations clear but maybe trying to hide his PPP loan. ;) The chances of these three guys ever being in the market at the exact same time again are just about zero.

·
Super Moderator
8,564 Posts

·
Founding Member
6,522 Posts
I feel really poor...
Me too. But its a good point as there is car on auction right now that I'm interested in (seems nobody ever posts a regular classified anymore, at least not for collector quality cars from the 80s). Maybe what I need to do on these auction sites is before I spend any money to travel or get a car inspected is to check to see if my competing bidders are high rollers. Probably no need to spend $300 or more on a PPI or plane ticket if one of the bidders spends a million dollars a year on the site. I have to stop at what I think the value is while the high roller can keep going indefinitely.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts