Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright heres the deal... I started my car up completely fine today and pulled it in the garage and shut it off. Later today I tried starting it up to leave and it wouldnt start. I touched nothing and couldnt figure it out so I figured maybe something stayed on, so I jumped it and figured the alternator would charge it back up. Well it didnt, I had to jump it every sinlge time today even though the volt gauge (stock one) kept saying its normal 13volts or so. So I got it home and shut it off...

I redid a lot of the old power/ground cables and scraped a new ground and used thicker gauge wire on everything to see if that was the problem. While my battery was out I would check the voltage with my voltmeter and it would say cosntant 12.6-12.9 volts, which is perfect. I do not understand why the battery reads fine but when i put it back in teh car and try to start it it cranks like once and then doesnt ahve enough power to keep going. Its not a starter/batter problem either cause it is cranking just not starting cause it runs out of juice. So I just dont know what to do from here. I have no idea why it would be fine then all of a sudden not be. When I use another car to jump it it cranks right up and starts/runs fine, but when I try to use my battery (even though it says 12.7 volts when its out of the car and in the car with the terminals hooked up, there are no visible fuses blown or connections screwy and it never had ANY problems before) it wont start....

Any help/suggestions?

Austin :twisted:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Battery

My suggestion is try to start another car with your battery, it could be a simple thing that you battery has died. Even though it shows 12.7 volts, you need the cranking amps. So give that a try. it's best to start with the simple things first.

Good luck and let us know.
:lol: Barnzi

·
Registered
733 Posts
Most autopart stores that sell batteries will load test them free. The battery could be toast and still show 12 volts.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cool guys thanks a lot. I didnt know that if it showed good voltage the cranking amps could still not be there. I guess Ill take it into Autozone and have them load test it for me and see. Thanks for the fast replies!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts