Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I just put a new alternator (for an 88 Cressida) and a new battery into my 82 Supra last week, but there is still an electrical problem.

The battery wont keep itself charged for more than 2 days if I leave it sit. Even with the alarm off and the stereo fuse taken out, it keeps draining down to dead.

The alternator regulator went on the car a couple weeks ago and cooked the old battery, so I wonder if somthing else got cooked. All the fuses under the hood and in the cockpit are good.

Any ideas?

I cant drive the car without the assurance that I wont have to be boosted every day after work...

Thanks guys,

Aaron

·
Registered
15,035 Posts
ok, does the voltage gauge show 14v while driving? if so verything should be fine with the chargeing system. looks like either one of the door lights are staying on do to a bad shut off switch(turns the light out when you close the door) or a dead cell in the battery. check the water level in the battery. if its low it can cause this.
william

·
Registered
306 Posts
With the car off, unhook terminal to battery, take conductivity tester(one with light like a screwdriver) connect one to terminal and other to batter cable that you took off, if light turns on you may have a short somewhere. After that you just go through pulling fuses until light turns off and then narrow it down in the curcuit.

·
Registered
27 Posts
SkoonMA67 said:
The battery wont keep itself charged for more than 2 days if I leave it sit. Even with the alarm off and the stereo fuse taken out, it keeps draining down to dead.

I cant drive the car without the assurance that I wont have to be boosted every day after work...
Aaron
Hey I'm currently having this problem also. Some weekends I don't drive the supra, and come monday the battery is too low to crank the engine, or completely dead.

My portable jump starter sure comes in handy! :(

I'll have to try the battery test dragonfyre posted.

·
Registered
104 Posts
williamb82 said:
check the water level in the battery. if its low it can cause this.
william
*Could the reason for this be because the engine bay gets hot? I'm having the same problem.. My battery was taken to be REcharged and the battery died after cranking the car several times to get it to start.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well.

actually, I found the problem =) My charge light relay melted when my alternator went and stayed closed.

It was the only problem =)

Aaron

·
Registered
27 Posts
Re: well.

SkoonMA67 said:
actually, I found the problem =) My charge light relay melted when my alternator went and stayed closed.

It was the only problem =)

Aaron

Cool, maybe that's what's wrong with mine..

Where is the relay located so I can check it?

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
draw on battery when vehicle off?

Hey guys,

Just wondering what a STOCK 1982(ish) MA67 should have for battery draw when the engine and key is off.

I left my car for 24 hours straight and the battery went dead on it. My amp and subs are always on (ghetto rigged that way... ick :oops: ). I can leave the car for an 8hour work day and it will start fine all day and all week though, but any longer seems to cause problems.

Im just wondering what the spec should be for this. I have an alarm as well, but I just want the specs. How many mV am I looking at?

Thanks,

Aaron

1 - 8 of 8 Posts