Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is somewhat of a story, but please take the time and help me out here..

driving home the other day my battery light starts to flash, I kind of ignore it cause I know the battery is quite old and needs to be replaced.
So I replace the battery and everything is fine for like 30 minutes when the battery lights starts flashing again! Not sure what to do and with a good 3 hours drive ahead of me I pull over, pop the hood and see that everything is looking good (i.e. No smoke :)
So I roll along, but after 2½ hours the gas and engine readout on my dash board begin to flicker, not long after I see a lot of very bright lines running down over them, getting brighter and brighter, until they "snap" and both readouts go dark.
I am guessing the battery problem and this dashboard "thing" are related - but haven't a clue as to what I am looking for here???
Some sort of overload perhaps??

Regards, Martin

btw. My dashboard is digital.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Hopefully the fuses blew before burning out your digital dash! I'd check them first, then I'd check all the connections at the battery. It sounds like the battery has a broken connection somewhere, or REALLY bad corrosion on the terminals.
From what you describe, I'd say that you were running directly off the alternator, and at 3000 rpm the alternator, without a battery to regulate it's current and voltage, can push close to 18 volts!
A friend had a brand new Dodge Daytona (back in '88), and his battery had a bad cell. Everything got really really bright for about 2 or 3 minutes, then all went dead!
Good luck!!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the reply, sound possible that I would be running straight of the alternator, at the time everything got so very brigt I was running like 4-5.000rpms ... I heard another theori also, but basicly it lead to the same thing - that the alternator is fried....causing to generate waaay to many volts.

I guess thats also why the fuses didn't pop, it was more then 12 volts yes indeed but not over the X number of amps the fuse can handle for the dash board.

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
I guess thats also why the fuses didn't pop, it was more then 12 volts yes indeed but not over the X number of amps the fuse can handle for the dash board.

Very true! Get someone to check your alternator and see if the voltage regulator is toast.

·
Registered
43 Posts
firstly, the battery does NOT regulate voltage or current...

current is supplied as required and is not "regulated" in the same sense that voltage is, you cannot supply something that is working properly too much current in a car

the voltage, however, is regulated, but not by the battery; there is a "voltage regulator" (what a crazy name for it eh... :roll: ) built into the alternator that regulates the voltage

what it sounds like happened is that your regulator may have gone and didn't stop the alternator from putting our probably close to 20 voltes, which could easily fry your digi-dash (that sucks man, i feel ur pain) and many other things in the car

hopefully it just stopped working because of a fuse or something though....hopefully

anwyays...yes i know (for you electronic gurus) that the description of regulating current isn't the greatest but its simplified and there's no point in going any further

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the replys
So basicly what I am hearing here is that I should switch the alternator and everything should be fine..

I found the alternator, just about bought a used one .. Any good advices on how to install it?

·
Registered
86 Posts
I remember reading in consumer reports that the earlier MKII's were known to have problems with the voltage regulators pooping out and frying stuff. It was the only bad thing they had to say about the MKII!! That sux man. :(

·
Premium Member
1,361 Posts
it sounds about right, pretty sure the dash board is screwed big time - anyone know if it can be fixed?? or is it trash now?
Firstly, does your car have an earth leak? if so then add an extra negative earth strap from the battery to some other part of the car...

Secondly, does your battery light flicker when driving? Mine does it and it is because my i replaced my ignician coil pack with a generic one until i can afford to get a proper one... I suspect it could be that as mine is playing up after i changed it...

Hope that helps

Cheers.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm not sure what an earth leak is ??

As for the second question, the battery light doesn't flicker - it lights constantly, that is .. constantly while driving, as soon as I come to a complete halt it stops lighting. I suppose it's because when stopped (engine still running) the alternator stops generating excessive power thus the battery warning lights shuts off.

.... or so I think :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'm not sure what an earth leak is ??

As for the second question, the battery light doesn't flicker - it lights constantly, that is .. constantly while driving, as soon as I come to a complete halt it stops lighting. I suppose it's because when stopped (engine still running) the alternator stops generating excessive power thus the battery warning lights shuts off.

.... or so I think :)
BINGO!!!!

yup ur right....it isn't overcharging when you aren't moving so the light stays off

if you rev it up when ur still i assume that the light does come on? it certainly should at anything over maybe 1000-1100 rpm

·
Registered
302 Posts
Earth is Austrailian for Ground. The suggestion is to replace all ground wires with heavy gage wire or go to about 6 grounding points. There's a thread on this somewhere.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Earth is Australian for Ground. (hmmm ok)

[Wait...I know one] :D

Fosters - is Australian for Beer!

·
Premium Member
1,361 Posts
artm said:
Earth is Austrailian for Ground. The suggestion is to replace all ground wires with heavy gage wire or go to about 6 grounding points. There's a thread on this somewhere.
Sorry :oops: ... I use American and British terms when it comes to talking technical, have to remember to talk in American Terms :lol:

Cheers.

·
Premium Member
1,361 Posts
SupraRacer007 said:
Earth is Australian for Ground. (hmmm ok)

[Wait...I know one] :D

Fosters - is Australian for Beer!
Actually SupraRacer007...

V.B. - is Australian for Beer!

down south... or

XXXX - is Australian for Beer!

up north...

I am not a beer drinker nor encouraging people to take it up :lol:

* Correct me if I am wrong :wink:

Cheers.

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
Well, there is such a term as "earth ground". :D In the deep South, the accent can get really strange. The word "beer" sounds more like" bear", and the word "alright" sounds more like "Ahhight". Sort of like the sounds you hear when a dog knaws on a bone. :lol:

·
Registered
164 Posts
you may want to check , if the engine still runs, what are the volt readings at idle, and some rpm values, 1500, 2000 etc. youll see how alt is generating the voltaje according to rpms, if the digi dash is not working yo may get a voltmeter, dvm, etc. and rev the engine manually slowly if you have a digital multimeter and as you want with an analog meter . . .

at idle it should read somewhat in between 12.5 and 13.5V and as revs increase it may go up to 14.5 or so, but it will stop at some point . . . if you have a reading more than 14.5 or up . . . your alt volt. reg. is fryed . .

verify the car grounding system and the alt wiring, loose ground or wiring can cause the alt volt reg to read low voltage, then, it will try to send more current to battery to charge it, but if the current output does not reach the battery the voltage will increase more than desired, and it will try to drain from whereever possible, even your digi dash.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts