Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

21 - 40 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Don't Do It...

Yeah I need to order one for Phil soon too.
Don't do it! That's the only thing on my car that's nicer than the one on Phil's car!

Seriously though... two thumbs up for a quick, inexpensive and easy way to upgrade under the hood for both safety and appearance.

Jim

·
Registered
217 Posts
I'm a little bit lost. Didn’t USDM MK2s come with these clamps?

Or is the deal that they've all rusted away?

My AUDM RA60 came with this clamp set and besides some surface rust I fixed with some POR-15 treatment its fine.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Mark,

I purchased what the parts man said was the proper hold down for my '84 P type. It fits over the Interstate battery that I have, but the problem is that the battery and the battery tray cover up the hole where the "J" bolt needs to go to hold down the aft side of the battery. My hold down is about 8 1/2 inches long(7 3/4 inches hole to hole). Do I have the correct hold down? Where is the "J" bolt supposed to go? Eyeballing it indicates that the hold down would have to be about 1 1/2 inches shorter, and the battery and battery tray would have to be about 1 1/2 inches narrower, to work with the hole for the "J" bolt. Any ideas as to what is going here? I did not buy the car new, it had been a lease and I got it when it was two years old. It never had a hold down when I got it. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
There is a slot under the tray where the J bolt goes. With the correct battery there should be no issues. Also, J bolt goes on the outside of the tray. The tray cant really be too big.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
I guess Mark isn't following this thread anymore? I also emailed him, but so far no reply.
Same here. He had a post a while ago saying he's really busy. I am still waiting on ordering some parts.

·
Registered
260 Posts
There is a slot under the tray where the J bolt goes. With the correct battery there should be no issues. Also, J bolt goes on the outside of the tray. The tray cant really be too big.
http://s1208.beta.photobucket.com/user/rhartmaier/media/DSC06956_zps9a4f0f5c.jpg.html?sort=6&o=1

This is the hold down that I got from my local dealer. As you can see it is about 7 and 3/4 inches hole to hole. If I try to install it, it goes way past a point above the hole for the J bolt. I believe that I have the wrong hold down. It DOES fit the battery that I presently have. However, the battery and the tray cover the hole for the J bolt. As I said before, I believe that before I got the car, someone replaced the battery with a larger one, and installed a larger tray at the same time. The car has never had a hold down. Can someone just tell me what battery to use, and where to get the proper hold down and tray? Thanks

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Looks like the correct hold down to me. The J bolt fits into a slot in the side of the steel battery platform. The tray does overlap it a little. I've never seen a battery too wide to fit, only too tall (then it shorts on the hood).

·
Registered
598 Posts
i was driving like an ass, and lost my tie down about 2 years ago, had to use a lace of my work boots. worked good. :p

·
Registered
260 Posts
OK, I am going to attempt to post some photos here. As you can see, the tray was worn through from 187,000 miles of sliding around, so I thought I would be smart and cut a hole for the "J" bolt. Better to have the battery secured even if I loose the benefit of the tray. Forgot that the battery was going to cover it anyway! What a stupid I am! Mark did answer my email, and I sent him these photos, but so far no answer, probably 'cause he is taking time off over the holidays.

http://s1208.beta.photobucket.com/user/rhartmaier/media/DSC06982_zpsfe4955ea.jpg.html?sort=6&o=6
http://s1208.beta.photobucket.com/user/rhartmaier/media/DSC06985_zps7e9c0a7d.jpg.html?sort=6&o=4
http://s1208.beta.photobucket.com/user/rhartmaier/media/DSC06987_zps7c5a9e90.jpg.html?sort=6&o=2
http://s1208.beta.photobucket.com/user/rhartmaier/media/DSC06988_zpsbd13f93c.jpg.html?sort=6&o=1

The last photo is not very good, but I hope you can see that the bracket that I have, that Mark says is correct, does fit the battery, but there is absolutely no way that I can install the "J" hook. The hole is covered by the battery. Can someone post a photo of what the correct installation should look like? Maybe some dimensions?

I am not looking for complete originality, but I WOULD like something better than boot laces! Drifts, are you one of those radical Vancouver Island seccessionists? I have spent some time in Victoria, Naniamo, Comox, Campbell River, Port McNeil and some other spots and loved every minute of it.

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
That is the correct SIZE battery, but the terminals should be on the other side of the battery vent caps. The hole you saw and cut out for on the tray is NOT the hole for the "J" hook. If you feel over the edge of the battery platform from that hole, you will feel the hole for the "J" bolt in the vertical side of the platform. The hole faces the wiring. I think it is a 9" long J bolt, maybe 8"; can always cut a longer one shorter. Do your battery terminals even reach the posts like that? I tried it on one of my cars and it was a stretch, even with a smaller battery.

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
yeap that looks like the right size but the terminals are in the wrong side, and yes thats no the hole for the J hook.

21 - 40 of 104 Posts