Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

41 - 60 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
OK, OK, alright already!!! Mark answered my email with a photo showing where the hole is on the side. I told him you guys would never let me hear the end of it! Never having had a hold down, I really was clueless as to how it was installed, and never did notice the hole on the side. And the other one looks to me as if it is made to insert the J end of the hook and give it a half turn so it can be tightened down. As for the battery, it was cold in my garage, and I just dropped it in quickly for the photo. I did indeed put it in backwards. Don't normally run it that way. Now I just need some kind soul to sell me a tray! I do appreciate all the comments. If it wasn't for the forum, I wouldn't even know there was supposed to be a hold down. Thanks to all.

·
Registered
7,000 Posts
Your battery was not face backward.
The neg post goes along the fender, as the hook-up cable for it is very short.

·
Premium Member
959 Posts
Take your battery out and look behind the bottom of the tray. It is there, a small hole the "J" end fits in. Hard to see from the top when you have your battery sitting in the tray. You may have to get a mirror to see it then make a mental mark of where it is.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I replaced the neg lead some years ago, and the new one from the dealer was longer. Now my battery will work either way since the vertical terminals are almost in the middle of the battery. The pos lead actually is easier to attach if the neg terminal is on the fender side as RedP suggests, but I can make it work either way. Note Mark's post on page 1; that is the way he shows it. Anyone who has a spare tray they might be willing to part with, please send PM. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
7,000 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey, I know this post is a bit old, but I was wondering if you still had these for sale.
Currently the only thing holding my battery in place are my hopes and dreams.

·
Registered
7,000 Posts
he most probably do.
I've ordered 2 last spring.
The best way to reach him is at his job.
Either 800 number, or dealer email (search on the approved vender section.

·
Premium Member
5,304 Posts
GEL CELS. Impervious to vibration and you can mount it sideways!
Choose your brand. Leave your checkbook at the door.
ANY gel cell battery.

We will get some brand name suggestions on this.

·
Registered
3,282 Posts
Optimas get mixed reviews. Some people swear by em, some people hate em. I liked mine when they worked. They recently changed their warranty stuff so wherever you buy it from make sure the warranty policy is decent. Back in the day i had one last me a few years, sold it for 100 bucks, and lasted the new guy a few years too. The most recent one i bought had a 2 year warranty and it crapped out at 23 months, got a new one and that lasted a year and a half. Come to find out the warranty period is 2 years on the dot according to Autozone, and they didn't want to go to bat with optima for me. Yes i bought one battery with a 2 year warranty, but that crapped out causing me grief and costing me time and money to put a new one in. I figured the new battery would have a fresh warranty because of this, but no prorating or anything beyond the original 2 years, so SOL when it shat the bed again. Would have been better off with a cheaper house brand battery from any shop that at least prorates after the warranty is up.

·
Premium Member
5,304 Posts
BRAND of Gel cell?

NO. Get the best warranty.
2 year FREE replacement?
Maybe 4 years.
My Diehards have been good,not excellent.
Get good deals at Costco and Sam's.

The gel cells are a better design.Shop wisely.
I have heard Gamble's lament B-4.:sarcasm:
NOT an issue with Optima.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Costco's Optima warranty policy is ..... interesting. First they refund the original cost. Then they sell you a new on at the then current cost. OK by me...
By the way, my first red top Optima lasted 14 years!!! It's replacement is about 3.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Does anybody have a spare tie down they might be willing to sell?

thanks

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
These are no longer available. Contacted Mark about them and he said they don't have then anymore. This was last month. So I bought mines used and rusty lol die grinded all the rust/paint off. Getting ready to paint it soon.

41 - 60 of 104 Posts