Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

61 - 80 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
i was just hoping maybe somebody bought more than one and would be willing to sell. i dont want a used one, but i need one and would settle for a used one... or if somebody knows of an aftermarket one that fits and has all the bolts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Same here. I need one too. I may try a mk3 tie down or just make a custom one
Did you ever try the mk3 part ? did it work ??
I need one too but these aren't available anymore, I'm also thinking about trying the mk3 part, they look very similar.

mk3 . . . . . . . . . mk2

·
Registered
319 Posts
Did you ever try the mk3 part ? did it work ??
I need one too but these aren't available anymore, I'm also thinking about trying the mk3 part, they look very similar.

mk3 . . . . . . . . . mk2
I have not tried it yet but will soon. I'm in the middle of a 7mgte swap and I have the mk3 tie down from my mk3 donor car. So I'll see if it works and let you know.

·
Premium Member
5,511 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
I have not tried it yet but will soon. I'm in the middle of a 7mgte swap and I have the mk3 tie down from my mk3 donor car. So I'll see if it works and let you know.
Hey Whitey, just wondering if you've had a chance to try the mk3 battery hold down yet ? I'm still thinking the mk3 part may fit with some minor modifications, I'm still looking for a good solution for myself.
If you can confirm how well it may fit, or not fit, then I can plan an alternate solution. A custom billet aluminum piece would be cool.

·
Premium Member
4,008 Posts
I've got a brand-new MK-II hold down I haven't used yet. I suppose I should go buy a MK-III hold down and compare the two.

Anybody have a part number or source for the MK-III hold down? I'm feeling pretty lazy today after Supras in Vegas, and don't feel like looking for myself.....:sleep:

·
Registered
274 Posts
I've got a brand-new MK-II hold down I haven't used yet. I suppose I should go buy a MK-III hold down and compare the two.

Anybody have a part number or source for the MK-III hold down? I'm feeling pretty lazy today after Supras in Vegas, nd doan't feel like looking for myself.....:sleep:
I got it, the P/N for the mk3 hold-down is 7440414310
I'd love to see the measured dimensions of the two parts.

·
Premium Member
5,511 Posts
I just ordered one from
Company Information
Joe Myers Toyota,
19010 Northwest Freeway
Houston, Texas, 77065
USA
877-859-9528
[email protected]
I'll know soon enough, if they REALLY have one.

74404-14260

I JUST got a refund. Not in stock. I tried.

·
Registered
274 Posts
MK-III hold down clamp got here yesterday afternoon. I'll do a side-by-side after I have my "Morning Coffee".....
that was quick ! It may need some modifications to fit, lets see.

I had been using a bunjee cord for the first 15 years of my supra ownership, and am TIRED of bunjee-ing.

·
Premium Member
4,008 Posts
I gave both the MK-II and MK-III battery hold downs a careful look with my 'calibrated eyeballs', and it looks like with a bit of modification, the MK-III clamp will work.

The center-to-center distance of the bolt holes looks the same, but the end that bolts down to the core support has less of an angle on the MK-III clamp.

It looks to me that if you notch the metal and bend the tab up a bit it will fit OK.

I'll try this a bit later today, take some pix, and report back....

- Jim

·
Registered
274 Posts
The center-to-center distance of the bolt holes looks the same, but the end that bolts down to the core support has less of an angle on the MK-III clamp.

It looks to me that if you notch the metal and bend the tab up a bit it will fit OK.
That's pretty good news so far. A small cut and bend, and we could have a solution for all mkII owners (hopefully).

·
Premium Member
4,008 Posts
MK-II and MK-III Clamp Comparison

Here's some pix before I fire up the Dremel to attempt to modify the MK-III clamp.

The OEM MK-II clamp snuggles down to the battery and the core support as shown below:

The MK-III OEM clamp does not, as shown below:

This is caused by the shape of the end of the MK-III clamp, which has a "kink" in the end:

Whereas the MK-II clamp has a smooth curve:

SO....I have to cut some of the metal away, and rebend the end of the MK-III clamp so it snuggles down to the battery.

Pardon me while I crank up the Dremel and very possibly "ruin" a brand-new MK-III battery hold down clamp.

Oh, goodness....the things I do in the name of "SCIENCE"!

Well, it's actually Engineering, but "SCIENCE"! just sounds soooo much cooler.

BRB.....

·
Registered
274 Posts
The OEM MK-II clamp snuggles down to the battery and the core support as shown below:
Excellent reporting. Such a small difference between the two actually !

If both ends of the hold-down are locating correctly, then heres a possible idea for the modification.

From what I see, looks like just this one piece needs to move ?

61 - 80 of 104 Posts