Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if Clevite 77 bearing inserts are still made, still available, and sold under what brand name? I know TRW used to manufacture them back in the 70's, but I can't seem to find these anywhere. :roll:

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
In case anyone is interested, I found out that Clevite/Michigan 77 bearing inserts are made by Dana corporation and are still readily available. I was told that the Lexus V8's are assembled in Alabama and come stock with Clevite inserts. I'm not sure if that is good or bad! :?

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
The Lexus V8 is a great engine...so I would assume it's a good thing they are using Clevite bearing inserts. They must be good stuff (still).

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Dave A. said:
Does anyone know if Clevite 77 bearing inserts are still made, still available, and sold under what brand name? I know TRW used to manufacture them back in the 70's, but I can't seem to find these anywhere. :roll:
is this the bearing for the mains and rod bearing.... I am kinda :?:

·
Registered
85 Posts
Dave,
Just an FYI,
Clevite was owned by Clevite. An independent for years before being acquired by Michigan, who I believe is part of a larger concern. TRW used to market them reboxed under their numbering system, but never owned them or manufactured them. AFAIK they still do sell Clevite as their primary bearing, it just has TRW's # on the box.
Jamie

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great! That's nice to know. I searched all over the place trying to find them and came up empty handed, so I settled for a set of Beck/Arnley inserts from Advance Auto Parts instead. Naturally, after I drove about 40 miles and wandered into a good pro machine shop in Tampa to have some work done, the Clevite name was displayed all over the shop. Darn it! :mad: The Beck/Arnley inserts are going back to Advance and a set of Clevites will be taking their place. 8)
I tried at least 4 different auto parts chains, and when I asked about Clevite 77 bearing inserts, all I got was........ huh, what, never heard of em. Arghh! Then I asked about Plastiguage and all I got was "plastic what"?

:roll:

For those inquiring minds wanting to know, Clevites are rod and main bearing inserts. One of the best! :D

·
Registered
15,036 Posts
yeah, they can order clevitte77 bearings at 3d's. i thought i told you that before. they can get anything. oh, and they do sell plastigauge. its usually in the back at autozone and discount, etc... and the guys at the parts counter are too stupid too know what it is. when i worked at autozone it took me an hour to find it in the back when i needed to buy some for myself. none of the managers knew where it was and it was one of the few items not in the computer. strangely enough it was right behind the assembly lube that my store manager swore we didnt carry.
william

·
Registered
85 Posts
Plastigauge?? CSK stores carry it right in the tool section. At least mine does.
It's still no substitute for a good set of mics & the knowledge to use them.
Just MHO
Jamie

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
ohh is that the bearing inserts... I am kinda on a sleepy mode right now... well I have them on my 6M both RODS and MAINS... you can get them on any machine shop... they can order it for you...

and also... I ask advance auto for some platigauge and they told me the same thing... what are you talking about... and william is right.. it si located at the back where they never even look for parts.

later

·
Registered
15,036 Posts
if your parts place will let you look. go to the bearing section and look in all the bins that have engine bearings. one of them has assembly lube and plastigauge. that was one of the many things i would mention to piss my manager off when i worked at autozone. he was very stupid. one day a customer asked him why there was a spring in the oil filter he bought. manager didnt know it was a for a releif valve in case the filter gets clogged, and that every oil filter on the wall had it. then he argued with me about it. boy was he pissed when i showed him the info was written on the side of the oil filter box. hehehehe
william

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I really don't like to use plastigauge either, except as a last resort. The problem is that I have a set of 1"-4" outside micrometers, but I don't have a good set of inside micrometers. I may try Wholesale Tool Supply in Brandon and see what they have. After all, with patience comes precision. :mrgreen: William, lack of knowledge doesn't make a person stupid!! One of the reasons that you don't always see knowledgeable employees behind the parts counter is because most of them are either making more cash as a mechanic or a machinist, etc.. The key lies in providing good training for qualified individuals who should be stocking the shelves while also receiving good training so that they can work their way up the ladder. Unfortunately, some auto parts chains just don't see things that way.

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The real headache comes about when you find out that no two manufacturers make the same identical design bearing insert for one specific engine!! First, I discover that at least two different manufacturers make a bearing set for the same engine, but neither of which is in stock to allow for comparison. :mad: Then, I have to pre-pay and take my pick between the two to avoid laying out a whole lot of cash and a restocking fee, only to discover that what I ordered is of a lesser quality than what came out of the engine to begin with. :roll: So, back they go and I order the other brand, which is better, but still not as good as a set of Clevites. :roll: Finally, after discovering that professionals do exist outside of Ruskin, I drive 40 miles one way to Tampa to arrive at 3D Machine Shop for the first time (where Sunnen machines and crankshaft lathes bring back vivid memories of my youth, along with the Clevite 77 signs that are plastered all over the place). :roll: Finally, I discover that the price for the set of Clevites is less than what I paid for the second choice at Advance Auto, so I buy the Clevites from 3D and return the second set of "close but no cigar" inserts to Advance Auto and pay the restocking fee. :roll: In the end, I sit on my rear scratching my head wondering why I didn't just call 3D Machine Shop right from the start. :roll: Now, that my friend is A no.1.... stupid! Of course, the real kicker is when you ask the owner of 3D Machine the question "who makes the original stock bearings?" and the answer is "Hmmm, I'm not exactly sure, but I know it's not Mitsubishi". ( In my case). :shock: LOL!!!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey their all,
Just to add to the converstaion if any one needs info latter. I just ordered a complete rebuild kit minus the rods, pistons and cams. It came with Clevite 77 bearings. I ordered the kit thru Car Quest. It is an EPW kit.

Here is the info on the bearings:
First Clevite/Victor Reinz/Perfect Circle are all manufactured by Dana Corporation.

As far as #s go:
Rod bearings for stock size are:
CB-1280 P on boxes
C1-1171 on bearing (outside by end that mates with other half)

Thrust Washers:
TW-228 S on box
T1-1006B-U-STD on top of arc none tab side
T1-1006B-L-STD on top of arc tab side

Main Bearings:
MS-1104 G on box
M1-1051-L for one half on outside
M1-1051-U for other half on outside

Ring Kit:
Perfect Circle Rings
51361 STD

I hope this is to help for anyone. I am trying to remember because I can't find my receipt but I think I paid about 450 for the kit. This was complet gasket set, all bearings and rings, water pump, oil pump, frost plugs and I think that was it. I had them pull the pistons, rods and cams out becuse I didn't need them. The motor is in great shape, I found the car in a scrap metal yard. Only problem was the keyway on the crank was about 2 times bigger then normal. I will be buying my new used crank next weekend, supposed to be in great shape, not sure yet on how much machine work I will do to it. Depends on cash available.

If anyone needs any more #s let me know and I will see what I can find.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts