Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving down Soledad Canyon in Santa Clarita and was stopped at the Sand Canyon intersection. Anybody who has driven through there knows that that there are two stop lights back to back and being stopped by the first one almost guarantees you being stopped by the second one. I hate that light.

Anyway, I was first in line and an RX8 pulls up next to me. I glanced at him, he looked back and grinned. I drive an 82 L-type automatic so I wasn't expecting this to be close but I was game. When the light turned green I punched it and we launched pretty even but I had him by a hood as we beat the second light. When I backed out at 60 he was on my back bumper. I was going to give him a thumbs up but he looked pissed and wouldn't look at me. Oh well, victory is mine.:salute:

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
no way the rx8 has twice the power of a 82 unles your turbocharged
he didnt know how to drive!

·
Registered
637 Posts
reminds me of when me and my friend were playing around soledad canyon heading to palmdale, is it me or his 09 4 door civic si couldn't keep up with me back there. hahaha

·
Registered
255 Posts
y when a car that is seemed to be the favorite and has more power loses to a lesser car, it is said "the person cant drive"? It's a straight line. They're not on a road course or a touge where that argument can be better proven. Most ppl when racing shift at redline anyway so if doing that and still loses, its not the driver's fault. Power-to-weight ratios play a part as well as traction and how healthy a motor is.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
sorry dude
rx8 sports a rotary which is instant hp they get up and move
either the driver of the rx8 didnt push it all the way or well he was just driving slow
lets see if malloy will come into this thread
no way can a stock mk2 beat a rx8 simple as that

but like he said a win is a win

·
Registered
1,077 Posts

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Most ppl when racing shift at redline anyway so if doing that and still loses, its not the driver's fault. Power-to-weight ratios play a part as well as traction and how healthy a motor is.
Shifting at redline isn't always going to do any good.

RX-8 probably, mk2 no way. Running a stock mk2 up to redline is a waste of time/torque. The RX-8 Creates power as it goes up.

Moon Pie...Not sure where this "instant power" comes from with the rotary. doesn't quite work like that.

A win is a win unless playing racing yourself lol

·
Registered
622 Posts
C'mon moonpie you know the rules, dyno, timeslip, or little sarcastic smiley.:laugh: Also I would find it safe to say he was N/a or not racing all out.

·
Registered
357 Posts
RX8s don't have instant power. rotary engines have VERY low low end torque, the power comes at high rpms. so RX8s are actually kind of slow off the line.

·
Registered
304 Posts
RX8s don't have instant power. rotary engines have VERY low low end torque, the power comes at high rpms. so RX8s are actually kind of slow off the line.
That's a true story. I can see someone in a slower car with an A/T beating a faster car with a stick from light to light if the driver of the stick doesn't know what he's doing. A/T driver just mashes the gas and away he goes. You'd be surprised how long it might take the RX8 to make up the lost ground, especially with its lack of torque. I call it a win.

·
Premium Member
7,186 Posts
That's a true story. I can see someone in a slower car with an A/T beating a faster car with a stick from light to light if the driver of the stick doesn't know what he's doing. A/T driver just mashes the gas and away he goes. You'd be surprised how long it might take the RX8 to make up the lost ground, especially with its lack of torque. I call it a win.
I owned an RX8.

Anyone who owns an RX8 knows it needs to be revved. They rev fast when driven right :) Seems like this guy wasnt even racing.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I owned an RX8.

Anyone who owns an RX8 knows it needs to be revved. They rev fast when driven right :) Seems like this guy wasnt even racing.
Wasn't racing, or -- like I said -- didn't know what he was doing. I'm not trying to diss RX8s or anything, but these impromptu races aren't just car -vs-car, they're also driver -vs- driver. Guy could've blown his shift. Race lost.

Regardless, I guess unless we interview (interrogate?) the RX8 driver, we'll probably never know.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts