Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

Beater cars/AE86/Jetta

3K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  Dzone 
#1 ·
:shock:

So I decided on the Jetta, since I needed to have 4 doors to bring out the clients (afterall, work is paying for teh car :) and I really really liked the VR6. For those not familair, I encourage you guys to check this link out. Its a cool design , and sounds sweeeeeeeeeeeet while offering a lot of grunt.

lemme finda link...

#2 ·
I've heard they're nice. A friend just got his wife a Jetta VR6 wagon... I think.

I have yet to drive it, but I intend to.

So work is offsetting the cost? Nice. You and the 4Runner have parted ways then eh?

#3 ·
Chris... he's not kidding.. Hella nice ride. Even stock its got enough to sit there and break them loose for ya. The interior is pretty nice to... I would say about an 8 or 9 out of 10 on quality.

Like I said... its made me reconsider making the Mk II a garage queen if the woman doesn't go for the IS 300

#5 ·
My wifes family is VW crazy, they all drive new jettas. Decent cars, kinda small back seats though. This is my wifes new GTS...

http://www.pbase.com/suprafiend/sumr86s_rolla

It was alittle rough when we got it, the usual rust, hit in the rear, neglected mechanicly, etc. Now after a little massaging on my part shes almost as good as new! Great back seats, huge trunk, fairly easy to find parts, both AM and used stuff. Someone mentioned one for a highway cruiser/commuter? The highway crusing part they're not that well suited for, but when in good running condition they can get pretty damn good highway milage even with the high gearing (4.3 like our mk2s). My gripes are, no dead pedal, monster truck ride hieght (easily fixed), loud on the highway (they're loud engines and the tall gearing doesn't help), no stock lsd (at least in Canada) and the stock seats suck. But hey, I'm used to supras. Great around town though and lots of potential.

#8 ·
Seamus, I sat in the back of Mikes Jetta, and was actually impressed with the seat. First time in a while I have been in a back seat of a car and been comfortable... and I am a reasonably big dude. There wasn't an over abundance of room, but I would call it adequate...

#7 ·
24v asymmetric narrow angle V6: (right one)

It has VVT also....very slick motor.

VR6 Info: http://autozine.kyul.net/technical_school/engine/tech_engine_packaging.htm

I wanted to spend ~20k, so my car allowance would cover car pmt and insurance. Started lookin for a 20k 4door car, and realized they were mostly gay. Nothing from Toyota, Honda etc that had any cahojnes and had potential. Jettas are dimea dozen, but I always like the C pillar with its flared out 1/4s. Can look mean with the right wheels/stance. I also thought they were the nicest stock wheels to come out in a long time. The color was really smooth too, and its new for 03...so its not common really. This body style stops in 04, so I will probably rarely ever see the same car on the road.

So, 1st choice was 1.8t Jetta, since you can get another 35hp and 55ftlbs with just a chip. Drove one, didnt like it. Way to peaky for me.

I then drove the 6sp VR6, and it was just badass...and sounded so good. Sporty interior too (3spoke leather, big bolsters etc.) Spent the extra 3k for it :) They dyno ~180/180 @ wheels stock.

http://www.allaboutvolkswagens.com/24vdyno182hp4thgearWEB.jpg

With chip/supporting mods Ill be at 200/200+ at wheels, but with drastically improved power band. I cant find the dyno of hte chippe car...but it was so linear...quite surprising.

#9 ·
Sweet,very nice job Seamus.It will be awhile before mine is even close.I just picked it up cause the price was right,for no rust issues.It needs motor work,pass fender,head light,front bumper,lots of misc.small stuff.But,it is a GTS,and $100 I figured was a deal.

#10 ·
That all makes good sense, Mike. To be honest it sort of sounds like a FWD IS300 -- and I can attest that such a package is pretty compelling.

The fact that it's a 6spd is nice too. :)

#11 ·
Are the 03 Jettas new? I remembered having slightly cramped leg room in my mother in laws, hers would be an 02 or 01. Other then that nice car.

Chris, GTSs prices fluctuate dramaticly. Here in the lower mainland BC, and in Canadain dollars, they go for between 500 and 4000 for rough shape ones, and between 4000 to 7000 for really immaculate ones. I'd go for 4gs for mine if I were selling it. Those prices are all over inflated though, especially if you check the book value. You can thank the initial D crowd for that one. Most of them are pretty rough though so picking one up for around 2gs isn't that hard, assuming you can find one, again, thank initial D for that. Look Ma, its a drift car! smash! right into a cliff face.

#12 ·
SupraFiend said:
Chris, GTSs prices fluctuate dramaticly. Here in the lower mainland BC, and in Canadain dollars, they go for between 500 and 4000 for rough shape ones, and between 4000 to 7000 for really immaculate ones. I'd go for 4gs for mine if I were selling it. Those prices are all over inflated though, especially if you check the book value. You can thank the initial D crowd for that one. Most of them are pretty rough though so picking one up for around 2gs isn't that hard, assuming you can find one, again, thank initial D for that. Look Ma, its a drift car! smash! right into a cliff face.
Thanks a bunch for the info. Are those CDN $ or US $? How much does the LSD cost?

I checked the parts list avail from cyberauto.com and there are tons of great parts! :) Which wheels do you have on yours?

#14 ·
That I don't know Seamus... but then again, Michael Malloy has no worries about being confused with Michael Jordan when it comes to height so that may have had something to do with it... :wink:

#15 ·
Convert that to U.S. $ and the prices are similar down here.But ,I can usualy find a decent,driver,project for under $2500,and have seen several for $500-1000 lately.

#16 ·
Cdn for those prices. LSDs are about the average for aftermarket ones and new from toyota, around 800ish CDN. There is a group buy going on right now for the Kaaz unit for the AE as the thing is going out of production. Prices should be around 700 CDN, I can point anyone whos interested in the right direction.

Yep finding what I'd call a clean one is hard. Their fender trim rusts out their wheel wells worse then our quaters. Ours has been garage kept its whole life and it was still nasty.

#17 ·
I really like the jetta,My wife and I went to see one for 16'000 cnd but I said "it has 80'000 klm on the odo.... she still wants one, a friend at work showed me his VW, Hmmm looks really nice, excellent quallity interiors
Might be sencond car as soon as debts are paid,,, but she wants to trade in my supra. :shock:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.