Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Boost-a-holic
2,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be ordering a set of new rims soon (as most of you know) for my Redpra. Now I'm looking for tires...I'm looking for the best tire at a reasonable price in the 245/45/16 size.

I'm kicking myself in the @$$ for not buying an extra set of Yoko AVS-Is last year when I got the Compomotives for the Blupra (got the tires for $59 apiece!!).

Costco has the Bridgestone Potenzas (Z-rated) for about $120 this week. Anyone have an opinion on these?

Thanks...Bob

·
Supra since '86
5,472 Posts
I had RE71 tyres on my 16s. Nice tyre, but no good to me after changing the hoops to 17s. I gave them to a friend to put them on his Mustang 5.0.

Are you putting 245/45-16 all the way around? I used 225/50-16 on the front and 245/45-16 in the rear.

So far I have ran the following tyres.

Bridgestone Potenza RE71. 16 inch.
Continental (Can't remember which ones). 16 inch.
Goodyear VR50 (Seven rib). 16 inch.
Pirelli P700Z. 16 inch.
Pirelli P-Zero (Specail soft compound versions, really sticky). 16 inch.
Yokahoma 008G (Really nice, my favourite). 16 inch.
Yokahoma 008P. 16 inch.
Yokahoma AVS-1. 17 inch.

All the above tyres were bought at the same place. Who knows what next?

·
Boost-a-holic
2,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep, 245/45/xR16s all around.

So, you were happy with the Potenzas, I gather....?

-- Bob --

·
Supra since '86
5,472 Posts
Did anyone know that the low profile tyre was invented by Pirelli for the 911 Turbo in the early '70s and that most of the heat of a running tyre is generated in the profile not the tread?

Nice tyre the RE71, though I only put about 3000 km on them when I gave them away, no use for them. I like Yokahoma the best though.... those 008G were great, but now out of production.

They all faired well.

The Pirellis seem to crack for no reason. I had one rear P-Zero blow on me at over 120km/h with three people in the car on my '83. Nothing happened, at first we couldn't see anything wrong because it was dark out and we just kept driving. Finally when we got home I noticed that the whole inside profile of the tyre was ripped open and there was no air in the tyre. I guess those carbon fibre belts were so strong they held everything up. My friends were amazed. Back then not too many people had seen tyres like the P-Zero.

Lots of different rubber for the last 17 years for just summer driving. But with three Supras over the years it really wasn't that bad. I got good deals on them all, that is why I had always used different types and never sticked to one kind. Who knows what I'll get next.

I will say though if you are looking for an all season tyre you can't beat Michelin. I used EPX on my stock 14s in 225/60-14 for winter tyres on my '83 and '84.

·
Boost-a-holic
2,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
go to tirerack.com and look you can get good prices their on tires. what tire size do you have on your blupra and are you geting the cn rims ? im looking for rims and live by your aria --- i like to see things in person befor i bye. Dave

Dave:

245/45/16s.

Yes, I'm going to go ahead and get another set of Compomotive rims. If you're interested, they're willing to sell to us at the same price as last year ($1500 for a set of 4 16x8s).

-- Bob --

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
im thinking about getting thrusters from centerline i work with bill (the sails maniger) over at hawaii racing and i can get them for like $150 or so we still need to work out the detals on it. i was just wondering how your cars tire set was to judge how mine will fit im thinking of eather 16 or 17x8 at a 0 offset. im leening twords 16 with a 16 45 245. Dave

·
Registered
237 Posts
Bob,
So you are going with a set of Compomotives. Black centers also this time?

·
Super Moderator
8,390 Posts
I would go with the Bridgestone S03s if you are interested in performance. Potenza Re71s are an old school performance tire IIRC. I believe the S03s are in the high 160 range from Tire Rack. The S03s have tremendous grip and are really quiet and comfortable. The only downside is that the follow any and every groove in the highway.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Yoko ES100's are pretty popular. Just helped a buddy put them on his Audi A6 2.7T. He loves them after coming from So2's. At $93 - seem reasonable. So I guess the Braids are out... Jay B

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
I have less than a thousand miles on them, but so far I am very pleased with the Yokohama AVS Sports. They were around $128 each. Very grippy in dry and wet, and really quiet, however, like the S03's, they seem to follow the road grooves.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts