Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1983 Red Mk2 M/T 7MGTE Swap, Bone stock M/T Black Mk2 1984, 1989 Red Mk3 A/T Turbo
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Painting a panel on my mk2 and trying to blend it in with a the original paint. What’s the closest matching clear coat I can get to oem so it can blend in? I’m assuming glossy but what brand?

·
Super Moderator
8,818 Posts
What color is your car? Only the metallic cars were clear coated at the factory. Everything else is single stage which was most of them. All the clear is clear anyways and you'll find all the new stuff is very shiny. The paint is going to need to be tinted anyways since things fade and yellow over time. Spend the money and buy the good clear as well if you want it to last outdoors a significant amount of time. Most shops you'll find are going to be brand loyal for the most part.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I recently redid my sunroof panel after cleaning off light rust in the channel. Using a 2k base color and 2k clear coat left the panel the correct color, but too shiny. I ended up doing a light wet-sanding of the clear coat with 1600 grit, followed by a light polish and wax. It dulled the clearcoat enough to match the factory paint perfectly in sheen and color. The surrounding factory paint is in exceptional shape though, so if yours has more wear or outside time, more work might be needed in both coloring and making the new clear look a little less shiny.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.