Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Typically for best performance ppl use 14-16 degrees. However it is recommened to use higher octane if you bump the timing.

Carl

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
I run 15 degress.... but if I put anything less than 92 octaine in, I detonate like crazy in warm weather and under heavy load.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I agree with 10 degrees. Mine seems to run fine and I get pretty good power and mileage as well.

-Hosam

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
The TSRM for an 82 says 8BTDC :? Does this mean that all adjustments are also "off" by 2 degrees...IE-instead of 11-12 would I set it to 10 for more power?

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
Different motor setup's require different settings. Because the 82 motor is a non TCCS motor w/ the vacuum advance distributor, a different timing set would make sense. So in this case, go with what the manual says. The 8 dg BTDC for the 82 motor is correct & the 10 dg for my 85 motor is also correct. Just depends on the different years.

My case is a perfect example!!!! On the MKI's, the 5ME motor is supposed to be @ 8 degrees. On the older 4ME's, it's supposed to be at 12 degrees (yep twelve).

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
CJSREDPRA said:
The 8 dg BTDC for the 82 motor is correct & the 10 dg for my 85 motor is also correct. Just depends on the different years..
Yea I knew it was the non tccs causing the different numbers :) My question(not very clear)was: If the TCCs guys are 10 degrees stock and advance to 12 to improve performance doeas this mean that with my 8 degrees stock i should advance my timing to 10 degrees(2 degrees advance the same proportion as the TCCS engines)?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts