Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I remember taking the sunroof out of my first Supra. I didn't care about it because racecar, and I mangled it in the process. The glue was tenacious and I had to use large prying tools.

I would like to remove the sunroof of another Supra without damaging it for another CS member... any suggestions?

·
Registered
362 Posts
I am pretty sure you remove the headliner in the car and all the access bolts can then be seen were the entire thing drops down, then the sunroof panel itself can be removed\

·
Registered
7,037 Posts
The whole assembly ?
Yes the headliner has to come down first (obviously!), and then there is supporting brackets almost all around.
Naturally 4 drain tubes at corners, and electrical harness.
But yes there is / was some kind of thick rubber tape / sealant adhesisve between the roof skin and the tray.
And yes it is hard to separate the two as they are kind of glued all around.
You don't have too much choice, start from a corner and go from there.
But to have it lighter to work with, it is pretty easy to first remove the sunroof panel along with the U shape sliders in one piece.

·
Super Moderator
8,165 Posts
There is no value in the pan. The only thing worth anything are the cables and the panel itself, none of which requires the pan to be removed.

·
Super Moderator
10,344 Posts
The cables are in the rails, the rails are screwed to the pan. Don't recall a way to remove the rails from the pan without dropping the pan too....

·
Super Moderator
8,165 Posts
It all comes out the top like the TSRM indicates. You have to pull the headliner and the motor, but I've never had to remove the pan. There's a reason it's basically permanently attached.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's good to know before I attack it tomorrow. Once I get the sunroof parts out cleanly I won't feel bad about bending things.

Thank you!

·
Registered
813 Posts
I had an after market sunroof in mine that I took out. There is at least one center brace the bolts on that you will need to replace. If I remember correctly the dome light screws into it. The hard part might be finding and original headliner for a non sunroof car. There was a post on here about replacing the sunroof years ago. I was told by a friend who restores cars that the roof cap needed to be replaced because the plug, for the hole would warp. Then someone posted how he did just the plug without warping. Very good info if you can find the post. I will see if I can find the post for you.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks, Aero. Even with the fuzzy photos I have a good idea what Don did. I've been pretty happy with the aluminum sheet that I riveted to my roof 7 years ago. It's simple, light, and cheap... and my Supra is a dedicated race car so it doesn't have to look perfect. I respect the work that Don went through.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts