Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a friendly reminder, that out here in the wild world wide web, there are scammers who prey on people on forums and such.

We just had a user, Godson01, who signed up a day ago, has no post history, who PMed a member who was looking for an expensive part saying he had a friend with the requested part. A phone call ensued, and they tried to scam him but luckily our member could smell the BS and could tell the guy didn't know these cars or any real details about the part.

This is not always the case. I actually got taken myself a couple years ago here, for the very first time in like 15 years of buying and selling on forums. In my case, the guy had a for sale post, with new Super Pro subframe bushings (which are hard to get at the best of times), with links to all of the part numbers, and a very realistic price. We chatted a bit in PM and text even and the guy obviously knew the cars and behaved the same as any normal user here selling something, there were no huge warning flags. After I paid and the guy went dark, I started looking closer. He hadn't posted any pics of the parts for sale for one, and he had no prior post history here, something I should have looked for before buying.

So be careful before you part with your money. Insure the person knows what they are talking about. Ensure they have some kind of history here. If they haven't posted pics of the parts, ask for some. Use Paypal and never use the "Send Money to Family/Friend" option if you don't explicitly trust the member. Paypal's scam protection will not apply if you do.

·
Registered
126 Posts
If someone is requesting the Family/Friend PayPal option, I'll always offer to pay the extra 2.9% + $0.30 fee to have that protection. If the person has a problem with that, it's a big red flag.

·
Registered
13,102 Posts
If someone is requesting the Family/Friend PayPal option, I'll always offer to pay the extra 2.9% + $0.30 fee to have that protection. If the person has a problem with that, it's a big red flag.
^ THIS x10000 - Always offer to split the PayPal fee if someone asks for Friends/Family vs buying as for "Goods"

--billyM

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Funny, that's the same guy that tried telling me his friend had a 6m intake manifold I was looking for. Didnt respond to the guy as I've never heard of his username.

·
Premium Member
240 Posts
I appreciate the heads up warning.

Just recently by mistake I sent a $100 deposit using regular PP for something that was on CL although the requestor had asked for friends and family. He replied saying it was a problem that I did not send it F&F which at the time I did not understand. After he no-showed on the delivery and said he was working on the refund I realized that had I sent it F&F I would have had no recourse with PP protecting me. It took two weeks but PP did step in to make the refund.

·
Super Moderator
10,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yup, becareful all they are definitely working the Wanted Posts here. Thanks to a heads up, I just banned a "Brooks Michael" with an IP from Nigeria. The one from the first post, the guy had an African accent too, but the IP showed up from Kansas.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts