Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There have been multiple and ongoing attempts by scammers to prey on people posting wanted adds here, at the time of this posting, and it will likely continue to be a problem in the future.

Their current Method of Operation:
  • A user posts a wanted add for something that is usually rare and expensive.
  • A member of this board with no Post count or real history here, Private Messages the user, says their friend James, Brian, or some stereo typical white guy name has the part you are looking for, and gives you an email. The email is always this fictional person's name with a bunch of numbers attached at a gmail account.
  • They take the conversation off the board, and proceed to try and scam the user via email, sending pictures of the part you are looking that they have found in Google searches. They will try and get you to PayPal them.

This MO is going to change now that I posted this, but the attempts to scam people will not stop. This is how you protect yourself in these kinds of transactions:

1. Don't buy from anyone here who just signed up, or has never posted anything, or has provided no detail in the their account info. Click on their "Handle"/ Forum Name. It will take you to a page listing all of the threads the person has started, and the posts they have made, tell you when they joined, and there is an "About" tab with some profile information. If the person has no history here, don't buy from them. That's harsh as in the past we have had legit enthusiasts sign up on the spot to sell someone something that they actually had, but considering the scourge we have going right now, its for the best. If you suspect they may be a real enthusiast who just never signed up here before, ask them for their Handle from whatever community they actually frequent. Sign up on that forum, PM there to make sure its the same person and snoop around a bit there to see if they are legit. Otherwise, ignore them.

2. Keep your interactions on the board, only deal with people with accounts here, via Private Message. If they are referring you to someone else via an email, its likely a scam (though if a legit member with history here gives you the email, its probably legit).

3. Ask for a picture or two of the part they are selling. Make weird requests, like "can you take it from the front, so I can see the script on such and such"."How about one from the back". Try and not to be a PITA of course, but in this day and age, EVERYONE has a cell phone with a camera and its trivial to take a pic and send it to someone via a Private Message with our software here. If you get a low res pic that looks like it was stolen off a Google search, it probably was. Do a search yourself and see if you can find the original.

4. Never use the "Send Money to Family/Friend" option on Paypal unless you explicitly trust the person. If you get scammed, their buyer protection doesn't cover you if you click that. Consider the Paypal fee as a part of the price

We have a buyer Feedback section here and we probably should start using it more, but its highly unusual for these scammers to actually hang around long enough to develop a presence here. The Buyer Feedback section is more useful for finding out how good an established member is to deal with.

·
Super Moderator
10,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Send me a PM if one of these guys try to scam you. I'll Spam delete/ban them. Also if you get their Paypal email from them, pass that on too and I'll try and get their PP accounts deactivated too.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
I saw one post in the wanted section. 2 Posts total both were that they had some not easy to find parts and to dm them. UserName was Generic name followed by a few number. Reported it and the post was removed. Good on the mod team to keep these scams off the boards. Up to us, the user group, to report so the mods have something to look forward to when they log on.

·
Super Moderator
10,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wouldn't say we look forward to it lol.

There's the AutoGuide guys who admin the forum and work for the company that owns it, and then there's myself and SilverMk2 who volunteered to be mods as we are on here a lot more then they are.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I reported 2 of these last month. Just got another one in my inbox. Getting old...

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I've had two of these interactions in 2 days on my WTB: Pinion Spacer thread. One also replied in the thread but their post disappeared today.

conleyshawn
dwaynejerome367

·
Registered
146 Posts
It's becoming very common.
I've had the same issues on other forums also.

·
Registered
Hot Wheels
535 Posts
Thanks for the heads up 👍🏻

·
Premium Member
8,431 Posts
Use OGs for references, and there are many long time sellers of used parts here; DM them when looking for parts...

·
Registered
15,090 Posts
Got one from "celic" 15 hours ago but it already says banned.

·
Registered
15,090 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,733 Posts
Do you have the user name so I can get rid of them?

·
Registered
15,090 Posts
Sorry. Copied the wrong thing earlier.

smithrodney

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
I wonder if we could make it so new users had to pass some kind of threshold before being able to PM other members? (post count comes immediately to mind, I wont even consider buying pars from someone who pm's me with a zero post count...)

Reactions: williamb82

·
Super Moderator
10,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It might help a bit, but we already have spammers who sign up, and to get around the minimum post count requirement for posting pictures, they pretend to be regular members and post a few generic "way to go!" Type posts in various threads to get their post count up then start pimping some website here and there.

·
Registered
6,532 Posts
Pm sent to me, "Email Randy in Texas he has a LJM strut bar for sale. Here's his email"
The same exact post here
Email Randy in Texas he has a Non-LSD Stub axles for sale. Here's his email

1 - 20 of 27 Posts