21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
3,331 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Wow! So I can use a nsx disc? And bolt it behind the hub? Hmmm thinking... I kinda wanted the extra clearance but I guess that could wait until I do the 5 bolt swap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
We just need the info in the pics above. They gave me an excel sheet to punch numbers in. I can send it to whoever wants to help

·
Registered
283 Posts

Finally got to taking these pics! Why you guys think? Just go get a bracket made? What disc should I use?! So many questions!! Lol

Hi there, i have already done this so maybe i can help you.
Firstly, have you tried those brembo brackets on the strut yet? They don't look too far off fitting to me!
What size wheel were you looking to fit behind the brakes? This is the most important bit really.

·
Registered
283 Posts
How did you get on with trying the brackets on the strut? The bolt spacing for the 14mm radial bolts on mine are 130mm between centres, and 100mm for the toyota strut

Ok, 17" wheels will be around 325mm disc diameter max. Still pretty massive for an old light car.
For discs you also do have the option of going 2 piece bells and rotors for overkill impressive factor, although if it's just a street car. Wilwood do have some discs that would suit a 28mm wide caliper. They did everything in imperial though so once converted... 28mm wide is 1.10 inch. With that width they do 2 sizes of disc. 12.19" (309.6mm) also cheap at $56 each!

http://www.wilwood.com/Rotors/RotorProd.aspx?itemno=160-11862

And they do a 12.88" diameter ( 327.1mm) Not cheap at $199 each, but very nice all the same
http://www.wilwood.com/Rotors/RotorProd.aspx?itemno=160-12961

Wilwood also sell these neat top hats with a short offset, which i like the idea of
http://www.wilwood.com/Hats/HatProd.aspx?itemno=170-12471
(-0.09" is -2.28mm) so not sure that would be enough to run the discs inboard like i have with my kit, but i have seen people run the hats inverted before in Classic rally cars.

If you get stuck, just send me the dimensions of your brembo caliper and i'll see how it matches to my cast brembo. If it checks out identical i can sell you a pair of my brackets and discs!

·
Registered
283 Posts
What you do have to keep in mind all the time is disc height though. It this photo you can see that between the inner face of the disc and the lip of the LCA ball joint there is a small gap. With a 28mm tall/ 28mm thick disc, the gap is 6mm so a 34mm tall / 28mm thick disc will rub the arm. i tried a Honda NSX 3.2 disc that was 297mm x 36mm tall and it rubbed.

[/url]Untitled by neil walker, on Flickr[/IMG]

but this is only when you run RCA's. On a lowered car it's a must to, as the bump steer without is horrendous. Nissan S body guys only wish it was as cheap & easy for them. Offset RCAs do give you a nice bit of clearance when running the discs as far in as you can, but the flip side is mega camber thats harder to dial out.
https://technotoytuning.com/toyota/mx73/negative-camber-roll-center-adjusters-ncrca-ma60ra64mx73mx32

Oh, and found a picture of my 305mm brake kit behind a 17" wheel. > This was who i originally made the kit up for, and with a mk3 supra booster and master cylinder. it works well

[/url]s-l1600 by neil walker, on Flickr[/IMG]

with radius coming in to play - a 325mm disc will only allow the caliper to sit another 10mm further out compared to the 305mm disc in the picture above. 10mm isn't exactly mega noticeable to warrant all the extra effort and expenditure (in my eyes) but hope i helped you out a bit.

·
Registered
15,019 Posts
Hmm, now im a little concerned. I was planning to go with a 334mm rotor that is 34mm tall, with RA65 strut tubes and steering arms, which pull the wheel in about 10mm, for my 5 lug swap. I have crown front hubs and plan to bolt the rotors to the rear of the hub. All I have to do is enlarge the center hole to 3in to fit the hub. it is already 5x100mm bolt pattern. I guess I need to find out if the inner diameter of the rotor surface is larger than the 12in rotors.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Hmm, now im a little concerned. I was planning to go with a 334mm rotor that is 34mm tall, with RA65 strut tubes and steering arms, which pull the wheel in about 10mm, for my 5 lug swap. I have crown front hubs and plan to bolt the rotors to the rear of the hub. All I have to do is enlarge the center hole to 3in to fit the hub. it is already 5x100mm bolt pattern. I guess I need to find out if the inner diameter of the rotor surface is larger than the 12in rotors.
Firstly, Sorry to Solid693 if this is a total thread jack.

You have every right to be a little concerned. Stock supra disc is 26mm tall. mine are 28mm tall and if you are fitting RCA's like the T3 ones i have in the pictures, 34mm will be feeler gauge tight against the LCA lip. I don't know about crown hubs, but i guess that if the bearings are the same width apart in the hub as on the RA65 spindle, the hub faces for wheel and disc will be the same on the casting? Either way, you do have options.
Going super massive on the brakes is all well and good if it's light weight, but doubling the weight of a disc from stock is kinds counter productive for good response. Increasing diameter and friction surface area are the goals, but adding unsprung weight is the killer. It just makes the brakes have to work even harder than they need to.

Also sometimes you can go too overboard and fitting a too large set up for the car means the brakes never get hot enough to work properly. Different pads will have vastly different feels for road and track, and when fitting a circuit brake set up on a fast road car, compromises have to be made. I am british though so naturally understated in the 'bigger is better' school of thought! :p
Maybe tone down the size of the disc you had in mind, and find something a bit closer to the 26mm tall stock disc height.

·
Registered
15,019 Posts
I guess I will get one of the rotors and test fit as I cannot find this measurement listed anywhere. The car will need the brakes. As for heat, that wont be a problem as the pads I run in the wilwood calipers work great when cold, and even better when warm, they have different compounds for different braking conditions. Rear will be C6 Corvette 12inx1in rotors over the C6 ebrakes etc... Thought of running the C7 13in rear rotors to fill the wheels out more like the front, but I would like to be able to fit a 15in rim setup in the rear for the drag strip.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Wow well that was a long time ago! I got hurt at work and had no time to mess with this

The brembo spacing is 130mm. The inside measures at 30.6 which means the disc will need to be thinner than I thought.
Looking through some info i think the range rover disc will work. Just need to buy one and have it redrilled. THEN need the bracket to make it all work

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
283 Posts
Wow well that was a long time ago! I got hurt at work and had no time to mess with this

The brembo spacing is 130mm. The inside measures at 30.6 which means the disc will need to be thinner than I thought.
Looking through some info i think the range rover disc will work. Just need to buy one and have it redrilled. THEN need the bracket to make it all work

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk
Did you ever take the measurements of those Black brembo brackets? ideally the hole width where it bolts onto the strut carrier please!
(distance apart of the 2 holes with out bolts in)

With a 30.6 wide caliper, you'll need a 28mm wide disc. (2.6mm heat expansion clearance)

Bad luck about getting hurt at work too man. :/
This will make it a heap shit easier!! Just put in the dimensions you are looking for. it's a bit like playing the slots though haha

https://www.bremboparts.com/europe/en

21 - 40 of 62 Posts