Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To install first remove the interior pieces necessary to get to your shifter.

Then remove shifter, remove the plastic cup on the bottom of the shifter.

Press on the new plastic cup to the bottom of the shifter, now that is ready for the next step.

Use a flat headed screw driver to pry the old cup out of the tranmission.

Here it is removed.

To install follow these photos.

\

Then take this guy.

Reinstall and your done enjoy a nice tight shifter once again.

-Sean

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also here is why the brass bushing is unnecessary for the r154.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So it's only a cast socket? ...no metal rings, no rubber rings?

I can't really see in those pictures.

--billyM
Correct its just a cast socket. Nothing else that plastic cup fit it perfectly. And there is almost no play in the shifter what so ever now.

-Sean

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hmm, well I'm glad it works nicely for you.

Give the bronze bushing to a buddy with a w58, he'll need it.

Haha, thanks for the verification.

--billyM
Yeah I wish this was available back when I still had my mkii that thing in gear was like neutral.....

This is a must get for the mkii thanks to you Billy.

·
Registered
6,255 Posts
hmm, well I'm glad it works nicely for you.

Give the bronze bushing to a buddy with a w58, he'll need it.

Haha, thanks for the verification.

--billyM
So how much minus the bronze bushing?

- Armin

·
Registered
18 Posts
I just installed a shifter bushing in my r154....got it from George at Raptor Racing...thanks George...great service. I pretty much had to pick the old one out with tweezers....it was just a bunch of scraps held together by grease....surprised I could shift at all!! I did have to wiggle, stand on my head and swear a lot to get the new one in but OMG, I can actually do a 2nd to 3rd shift!!

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Billy - as I finally installed one of the 3 kits I bought, I was removing the rubber and looking at the final ID of the metal shift arm compared to the OD of the bronze/brass bushing. It occurred to me that once the inner metal ring is out, exposing the rubber vulcanizing layer, it made since to me to use a torch to cook off all the rubber and leave the outer metal ring installed in the shift arm.
I gave it a whirl, and the new bushing dropped in almost snug. A coating of RTV will def help, but I wanted to clarify that I did NOT remove the second ring out of the shift arm, only the inner ring and the rubber.
Is that what you intended in your instructions?
If not, it may turn out to be a more effective method to install it. I'll let you know if I have any adverse reactions to it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts