Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
5,541 Posts
I wish my uncle had one like that.

·
Premium Member
7,607 Posts
IF truly a low mileage '85 some wear items don't seem to match the mileage??

Interesting 3rd brake light on hatch??? and MK3 shift knob??

Does have a Dunlap spare...

·
Registered
893 Posts
Wow!

I think that looks like it's the real deal.
The engine compartment is extremely original looking and the thing that restorations cannot replace/fix is the hood insulator. It looks like it's in spectacular shape!

Things like the shift knob being swapped make sense. An original owner will have noticed the leather is going bad so he will have gone back to Toyota to get it replaced. By the time he did this, they were no longer available so the Toyota Parts person said "Hey, use one from the new Supra. It will fit and it's a Toyota part".

Original owners generally aren't trying to keep their cars in concours condition, they are trying to keep it in excellent working condition and probably aren't eBay hounds.

But what's the deal with the sunroof? Did he just not close it all the way accidentally, or are the sunroof cable end-pieces broken so it won't pivot at the end to raise it all the way?

Dale

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello All,

I am the owner of the 1985 Supra being discussed. I failed to completely close the sunroof before taking the photos :) Sunroof condition and operation is perfect.

The car has receipts and a log book from new. I just found the receipt from a Toyota dealership showing the purchase of 81570-14010 which I believe is the third brake light. I am not sure why my uncle had it installed. Maybe New Mexico required it since he purchased the car 2/8/86 as shown on the original purchase agreement from Farmington Motors, Inc. Again, I don't know the answer.

I have found nothing regarding the shift knob, but it may have been replaced. Dale may be correct, but I am surprised there is no receipt and I cannot imagine the original shift knob would degrade that much unless they were flawed when new. This car was built April 1985 and I would guess close to end of 1985 model year production. Is it possible there was a part number revision at the factory during that time? Only the gurus would know and I am not an expert on these cars.

I always knew about the car, but never saw the car in person until I purchased it from my aunt after my uncle had passed. My uncle's care of this car is quite interesting and the condition speaks to his attention to detail.

I am curious what wear items Arch is talking about?

Dave

·
Registered
893 Posts
Hello All,

I am the owner of the 1985 Supra being discussed. I failed to completely close the sunroof before taking the photos :) Sunroof condition and operation is perfect.

Dave
Hi Dave,

The car is gorgeous.

I am glad you cleared up the sunroof not being closed. These cars have plastic sunroof cable fittings that tend to break with age. I would be shocked that one with this little use would be a problem.

To me the car looks just about perfect. The shift knob does look incorrect, but as you say, it could be a supply issue with Toyota.
The only other thing that I see is that the interior looks slightly sun faded...and I do mean just slightly.

I'm the original owner of a 1983 Celica Supra with 32,000 miles so I love looking at this car. To me it looks extremely original.
I'm shocked that the black crinkle finished cam covers are intact. On mine, they started lifting where the raised letters are. I had to refinish mine.

The car has a story to tell. To have a 33 year old car with 14,000 miles says that your uncle always had other cars but that he loved this one. How old was he when he bought it? I fell in love with mine and could never sell it. I see this as being his first real love (okay with a car anyways!) and it's sort of cool that he had it for the rest of his life. Probably being around the same age, I am sad that he passed on.

You have to do us a favour and take detailed photos of EVERYTHING about the car. I'm sure it'll help sell the car, but cars this original are few and far between. When people start to restore them in the future they won't know what the details looked like.

Things like the exhaust are really of interest here. The decals under the hood are important. The shock absorber colours.

Anyways, thank you letting us know you are on the site.

Dale

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello All,

The photos of the interior had the flash going off on my camera. That is why some may think the interior may have some fading. It does not. My uncle occasionally drove the car to work and had an outdoor car cover for that reason. Since new the car has been covered when parked. All of the weatherstripping, plastic, cloth, carpet, etc. is in like new condition. The car was kept in the dark with low humidity at a controlled temperature.

My engine detailing consisted of using a blow gun with compressed air and a soft dry paint brush for crevices to remove any light dust. 10 minutes and I was done. I used the same method on the interior and vacuumed the original floor mats to fluff them up. The front seats had soft backed carpet remnants on them and I am not sure if anyone has every sat in the back seat. The original floor mats were covered with clear and yellowed aftermarket floor mats.

My uncle was 52 years old when he purchased the car on 2/8/1986. His son and I talked about the reason why my uncle rarely drove the car and kept it the way he did. The best reason is that it was one thing he could do his way to his definition of perfection. The next owner will get additional details about my uncle and his Secretary of Energy awarded career. Very cool stuff.

Dave

·
Premium Member
7,607 Posts
Dave,

Thank you so much for sharing your Uncles '85, truly a 1 of a kind car...always interesting to hear the story behind the car and the man...

He was ahead of his time getting the 3rd brake light installed as much as it was a DOT requirement for the '86 model yr!! Agreed the flash threw off a lot of us old timers...

I walked by a new '86 on the showroom floor when I bought my wife a new FWD Celica GTS...then 2 years later bought my '86...Our daughter was brought home in the GTS from the hospital...

Just seeing the floor mats takes me back in time...

Thanks again for sharing the story and history!!!

·
Registered
489 Posts
I'm wondering if that's a stock muffler or an old HKS exhaust. Hard to tell from rear shot showing a little of the muffler, but looks like it has that HKS-style tip layout. I'm probably mistaken though.

·
Super Moderator
8,166 Posts
Any hints on what the reserve is for the curious? You're already in record price range and its still not meet. I don't feel so bad paying less than this for an 11k mile one now...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello All,

As the owner of the car, I am extremely confident that the entire exhaust is TMC (Toyota Motor Corporation) as installed at the factory.

Dave

·
Super Moderator
8,166 Posts
Man I think you're nuts for not taking almost $30k for a Mk2.

The muffler if original has "Toyota" stamped into the bottom.

·
Registered
419 Posts

I couldn't agree more while watching the last seconds tic on the auction I was left stunned.

I myself am getting back into the mk2 game after a long hiatus. I'm paying pretty good coin for a lower mileage example so on the other hand I'm excited that these things are starting to command this much.

·
Founding Member
6,259 Posts

Maybe he felt the top bidder wasn't the appropriate home for it. Some idiot mentioned doing a 2jz swap on such a pristine museum piece, I would have set the reserve at a million dollars too.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello All,

The car is going to a serious collector and will absolutely be one of the "benchmark" cars for future reference. I have almost completed a detailed photo record, using a real camera, that will have approximately 400 shots including the underside on one of my lifts. The album also has detailed shots of the entire original exhaust with muffler stamp and paint daubs on the insulators. Maybe someday they will be of use for future restorations.

Dave

·
Founding Member
6,259 Posts
Hello All,

The car is going to a serious collector and will absolutely be one of the "benchmark" cars for future reference. I have almost completed a detailed photo record, using a real camera, that will have approximately 400 shots including the underside on one of my lifts. The album also has detailed shots of the entire original exhaust with muffler stamp and paint daubs on the insulators. Maybe someday they will be of use for future restorations.

Dave
Awesome! As a card-carrying, obsessive-compulsive, NCRS nerd and Corvette restorer, I was hoping to someday put together a Supra Restoration/Judging Guidebook in the same style as the NCRS Judging Guides. One of my fellow NCRS buddies has an 83 Supra that he bought brand new so that helps a little, but we'd need a lot of people with a lot of unaltered mk2s to cover all the variations. Unfortunately, after posting about it, the response was less than I'd hoped and I don't think I have enough support right now to accomplish it, but I'm thinking about trying to do it on my own after I retire when I could actually travel to inspect and photograph Supras. I'd like to download a copy of that photo resource if possible.

·
Registered
7,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It 'had' to be going to a good home. Someone fetching nearly 30 K$ for a 33 year old Japanese car will unlikely be drifting it!

·
Registered
893 Posts
Fabulous.

Stickers, paint marks. The original exhaust AND heat shields have largely disappeared over the decades. To see them as they came from Toyota is priceless!
Who would have thought that this would elicit such interest back in the '80s?

I took my '84 to a shop to get the coolant flushed and the technician replaced the original hose clamps with universal replacements. I made him put the originals back on which were in good shape and he just shook his head.

Dale

1 - 20 of 25 Posts