Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Can't argue with this kind of underbody images, close to be as it drove off the assembly line.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Amazing! And I'm glad it's going to a collector that will truly appreciate the low mileage beauty!

Mr. Dupler I'm more than happy to allow my untouched Supra to be used for your restoration guide. I recently read the thread you started about that, and thought how cool it will be.

My low mileage 83 was undercoated at the dealer with the Rusty Jones package that was offered at the time before they went under. I have all the documents including the class action lawsuit letters they sent before they bit the dust. I recently got the car on a lift and just didn't like how sloppy the application looks. except for being completely rust Free everywhere, how does this hurt or help my and other low mileage unmolested examples that have had this treatment performed?

·
Founding Member
6,208 Posts
My low mileage 83 was undercoated at the dealer with the Rusty Jones package that was offered at the time before they went under. I have all the documents including the class action lawsuit letters they sent before they bit the dust. I recently got the car on a lift and just didn't like how sloppy the application looks. except for being completely rust Free everywhere, how does this hurt or help my and other low mileage unmolested examples that have had this treatment performed?
I had a red 85 that had been overzealously treated with a tar-like substance. Originally bought as a driver when these cars were a dime a dozen, when I did a 7mgte swap later, I took the opportunity to remove the undercoating from the engine bay and underside of the hood. I won't ever make that mistake again. That stuff is incredibly difficult to remove. Commonly available chemistry wouldn't dissolve it. I read about some stuff that some people had some success with, but it was going to cost several hundred dollars for a supply plus it was going to be incredibly messy so I did it entirely manually with scrapers and finally scrubbing the little remainder off with acetone soaked wool pads (Acetone softened it except it evaporates so quickly it was useless given the thickness). Shockingly I was able to carefully remove it all without scraping through the base primer except in couple of places, but I think I worked three or four full weekends on it. I can't imagine doing the whole undercarriage. Plus then I had to repaint the engine bay.

So knowing what it takes to remove that stuff, I'm quite sure that it diminishes the value, but how much is a wild guess. It probably depends more on how extensively and where it was applied. If its just the underside of the car and recesses that nobody will ever see at a car show, then the impact is probably not much. But people display their collector cars with the hoods up, the doors and hatch open. The more you can see of the stuff, the bigger the hit will be.

·
Registered
10,225 Posts
Whats the build date on this thing? Looking at the number on the VIN number its high enough that this could just actually be an 86 and came with the brake light from the factory (as all 86s did). It was certainly sold late enough in the 80s to be a legit 86.

·
Registered
419 Posts
21 - 25 of 25 Posts