Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok here goes, on my muffler I keep finding alot of Black DUST? and when I shift at High RPM's some times It goes Poof when I step on the gas a bit, but it only does this sometimes not always.

This leads me to believe that I have been visited by the Dark Dust fairy and sprikles Black dust on my tail pipe :roll: :? what is causing this?

·
Registered
15,036 Posts
the black dust is carbon build up cause you are running rich. nothing to be concerned to much about. at wot the computer ignores the o2 sensor and runs off of the fuel map programed into it which is set rich.
william

·
Registered
7,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How would I correct this?
If I would to put in the 210 injectors, would they case the car to run pig rich ?

·
Registered
7,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
turbosupra0101 said:
New o2 senser maybe????
I dont think so :naughty: , I just recently put a new O2 sensor and a new 2.5" cat two months ago. :?

Would mods cause it to be running rich? :confused:

·
Registered
15,036 Posts
not necesarily. if the black "poof" isnt very much i wouldnt worry about it. if its fogging the neighborhood then id look into it.
william

·
Registered
351 Posts
Is your engine consuming any oil at all?

·
Registered
15,036 Posts
i doubt it, he said black smoke not blue.
william

·
Registered
7,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Black Dawg said:
Is your engine consuming any oil at all?
Yea, I keep adding oil to her (too much if you ask me).

I had my cousin (HCogeHC) drive behind me to see if it smokes Blue when I hit it hard. All he said was that it comes out black, not blue.

·
Registered
351 Posts
jbrody44 said:
could be time for a ring job, if it has not been done before.
your valve seals could also be on their way out. It usually valves if it only smokes when under load (ie, shifting, etc). It will most likely continue to run just fine for another 100k miles though. Heck, I've been wheeling my Toy pickup with 240k on the ODO, and I'm tough on it. It smokes a fair bit, but still runs fine. Don't worry about it, or else go 6M 8)

·
Registered
7,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That would suck if its the Valve seals, I just recently had my head Port and Polished and the valves resealed + a 3 angle valve job. whats up with that? I think I need to go find another shop to do my head :x :mad: :banghead:

Black Dawg- Look at my sig under the 84 mk2, I already have a 6MGE BPU :wink: :p I guess the next LOGICAL thing is to go 7MGTE :twisted:

·
Registered
141 Posts
I always thought that rings make black smoke and seals make blue smoke after idling for a while then hitting the gas. You should do a compression test and see if you are low in any cylinders. You can see if it is rings by pouring a capfull or two of oil into the spark plug hole of the lower compression cyliner(s) and then checking compression again. If the compression is noticeably higher with oil in the cylinder it indicates rings.

·
Super Moderator
8,397 Posts
If someone can see black smoke from behind the car, you are running too rich. By any chance does your car smell like gas coming out the exhaust? If your car is burning oil out the exhaust its pretty easy to spot if you know what you are looking at. Oil burning out the exhaust is blueish-white and smells like burning oil (like duh! :) ). Its not uncommon to get that blackish stuff on an exhaust tip. Almost any car you work on has the stuff throughout the entire exhaust system. However, if you can smell gas out the exhaust especially at idle your car is running way too rich. I could tell when the 02 sensor whent out on my car just by the exhuast smell.

·
POTATO
17,259 Posts
possible clogged charcoal canister and/or malfunctioning sensor/EGR?

·
Registered
7,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
TanyasMk2Blackpra said:
possible clogged charcoal canister and/or malfunctioning sensor/EGR?
I just recently replace the EGR valve.

The tailpipe doesnt smell like gas. Could it be possible that some of the black dust got all over the O2 sensor that its not sending info out? :?

·
Registered
351 Posts
mmmmmm, ah. erm, what? oh, I'm sorry, I was a bit distracted by your avatar, zank.

zankone said:
Black Dawg- Look at my sig under the 84 mk2, I already have a 6MGE BPU :wink: :p I guess the next LOGICAL thing is to go 7MGTE :twisted:
D'oh! nothing wrong with a 7M-GTE swap, but I'd leave it be unless you start fouling plugs on a regular basis.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts