Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah was driving on the highway today, when I got off the exit ramp noticed smoke comming from under the hood. Cheacked it out. oil was blowing out the side of the engine. I got home and pulled the head.)(man what a job) and sure enough my head gasket was blown. taking the head in tomorrow to get worked over. should have it back friday. Anybody that has done a head gasket on this motor, what is the easiest way of putting it back on. should I bolt the head on then the intake upper and lower, or should I put the lower on first then the top when the head in on?

·
Registered
794 Posts
I take the plenum off and leave the intake.
When I put it back together I put the bare head on, then the intake, then the cam towers and covers then the plenum and throttle body (I think that is the way I did it and will do it this time).

Good luck and take your time.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
While it's out, you might condsider replacing those lovely little, oil-generous, valve guide seals that are the bane of the 5M...

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
thats a very good idea.....i have some valve seals leaking on my 85 supra and i am dredding the day it begins to leak too much....

·
Registered
102 Posts
has anyone done the job just for the valve seals? I know my 83 has some leakage, but I didnt figure it was worth the trouble just for that.

·
Registered
830 Posts
valve seals

hey, yah i've done valve seals a few times, i think 3 times with my dad. they're not too hard. i think we just pulled the cam towers off and rented some valve spring compressers to get those spring retainers out, then just slip on the new valve seals. make sure you lightly put some oil on the seals b4 putting them on. you'll probably find that seals you take off are as hard as a rock cuz there 17 or 18 years old. mine crumbled in my hand :roll:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts