Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I got her a few weeks ago and I needed to clean her up b4 I put her in the garage for work. I pressure washed the engine and entire underside.
Then I decided to get out the buffer and compound a small spot which wound up to be the entire car. I compounded only using 3m professional compound. No wax or polish yet. It really pops now but should even more when it is polished and waxed. Also got some mss pics of the garage (finaly getting it cleaned up enough to have 2 cars inside.

Before setting in Alabama.

NOW!!

Before

After

Engine bay. Still not sure which direction to go swap or stock. 86 5m in now
enough to go stock 86 electronics but not enough to go back to 82. Getting a 82 intake this week. maybe have it running while I decide to swap or not.

Pressure washer is the bomb!!

My Girl Helpin out ,cleaning off the leaves

In the garage :laugh:

Supra convention Someone buy the one left outside.

Still waiting on me to finish the interior. I guess I am too damm picky. White 85 in the garage.

Redyed the carpet with some carpet dye I got off ebay. White one outside.
Before

After

Going to sleep for the upcomming winter

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Very nice! What are you going to be driving while those are "sleeping"? Nice Celica All-Trac maybe?
I wish. I had a yaris but wrecked it. I have a Pt Cruiser dream series 2 that is my daily, a Chrysler Town and country limited and a Beat up ram truck. Supras will be done someday but I get too picky. My White 85 maroon auto started out as replacing the vss and shifter bushings and now I am redoing the entire interior..

My daily 2.4 turbo stage 1, Agp wastegate, k&n pipe and filter, Crappy mopar blow off plate, Carbon fiber hood with scoop, msd wires and coil. Quick but not fast. I would trade it off but van lease is up soon and this may be the family car.
old pics of when I bought it

·
Registered
15,021 Posts
looks great. wish i had buffed my red 84 out like that. but back then didnt know i could. after it was totalled i tried som meguires cleaner was on the fadest rear quarter. came out looking like fresh paint. i kicked myself so hard for not doing it years sooner when i could of enjoyed it. lol

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
What a deal! and to think that i couldve bought this car! (it was soo cheap). I told brian about it since he had family back in alabama but he decided to keep it and kept the wheels..... (16x8 rikens btw)

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What a deal! and to think that i couldve bought this car! (it was soo cheap). I told brian about it since he had family back in alabama but he decided to keep it and kept the wheels..... (16x8 rikens btw)
Car still needs a lot of work but the interior is very minty for a 82. I did not get it on the cheap but I wanted it and I got a few goodies with it.
I wish I had the wheels that were on it but I am not sure what is in the future for this panda. Most likley it will get a 1jz swap. If not it will go all stock.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I guess that was the one 4sale here not so long ago ?
Yes it has been sold two times here on the CS.
I got it from Walkerboost.
Very nice guy.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Buffed

WOW! Hard to believe that's the same car. Did that year/paint come with a clear coat or did the buffing take off a layer of oxidized paint? Did you pull off the flares or do them on the car? Now get a coat of wax on her before you have to do it over again. Awesome job.
If you need a set of like new 'eye brows' clips, etc. included let me know via PM.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
WOW! Hard to believe that's the same car. Did that year/paint come with a clear coat or did the buffing take off a layer of oxidized paint? Did you pull off the flares or do them on the car? Now get a coat of wax on her before you have to do it over again. Awesome job.
If you need a set of like new 'eye brows' clips, etc. included let me know via PM.
Yes it is original paint exept for the pass quarter and it is not clear coat. I did not pull off the flairs but I will at some point. I do need a set of Headlight wiskers it is on the to do list , Sent ya a pm

·
Registered
7,171 Posts
*whistles*

Wow, very nice work!

Nothing wrong with you being picky about the cars. They are your babies, treat them how you want. :)

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
OMG, what a difference.
Could you explain briefly, what tools you used to buff and what product you used... and how to do it?
Don't get too crazy with an explanation though. I want my car that SHINY too!
Good work!

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
OMG, what a difference.
Could you explain briefly, what tools you used to buff and what product you used... and how to do it?
Don't get too crazy with an explanation though. I want my car that SHINY too!
Good work!
First you can see my Dewalt Pro buffer $250. Get a good buffer with variable speed. Newbies at buffing keep the speed under 1k rpm. Go to a REAL auto paint store or go online and get 3m perfect-it compound fine cut or normal cut ( I used normal cut because of condition of my paint), 3m perfect it polish (dark or light depending on your paint), Foam polish pad, foam compound pad and hook and loop disk to stick pad on (mounts on buffer). All except the buffer I prefer 3m products they are what good body shops use to polish paint after wet sanding. Get some staining pads or wax applicator pads from walmart or home depot.

Use the staining pads to apply the compound DO NOT let it dry on the paint (bad news if it does) Remember a little goes a long way. Compound in small sections i.e. hood should be done in 4 sections. Take it easy on round areas and corners of panel, if you don't you will polish thru the paint into the primer.
Start compounding at 1k and control the buffer using lift and lowering of the handle to move it. DO NOT apply pressure! Get some lint free disposable towels from Sam's (in a big white bucket with a yellow top) after the compound is gone ( you will know because you will see the shine and no compound) stop and clean off any excess with the towels and buff also using the towels by hand.

You should see a nice shine now---- this is all I have done so far on the panda.

Polish with the 3m polish using same method as above can set buffer for 1200 to 1400 rpm.

Then use a high quality wax BY HAND.

Extra tips
1: The reason to use the staining pads is because if you pour it on and start buffing the compound will sling everywhere.

2: If the compound or polish starts globing up on the paint you put on to much. Get a sprayer with water and spritz some on and continue to buff

3: Get a high speed buffer (no autozone or walmart crap)
Harbor Freight has a good one on the cheap.

4: Do it in the shade or in a garage on a cool or overcast day. Most ppl should know to do that even if they are just waxing . But I still see newbs doing it in the direct sun.

5: don't stay in one spot too long it will burn thru the paint, easy on the corners burn thru paint very quick.

6: black cars can get the 3m swirl reducer do (works great)

7: get the foam velcro pads (wool sucks) black for polish and off white for compound.

This store has it all ,3m stuff.

http://www.tcpglobal.com/3m/3m450.aspx

1 - 20 of 29 Posts