Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I subbed an '84 blower motor in my '82.

The blower motor works, but now only high/low. It worked fine in the '84.

Could it be a motor compatibility issue or a problem in the switch or the '82 resistor vs. '84 blower?

Has anyone had this experience before?

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
I don't know of any difference. The resistor controls the speed (period). Perhaps with your install the resistor dropped out a coil due to being bumped. They are ~$7 from Mark of Vancouver Toyota. The box is 4x the size of the resistor assy.

Only difference I know of in the blowers is that the Cressy blower assembly has the plug in a slightly different location on the housing.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Rich,

Since I didn't have any experiece with this fix before, I looked in my Haynes and Chilton manuals for reference. Neither were particularly helpful in this case as the pics weren't great, but they did lead me in the right direction.

Once I verified my switch was good and still had no fan on medium or low, I concluded the blower resistor must be my problem.

I removed the glovebox to get a better look. The resistor is located in the heater housing duct.

I found a rectangular plug going into the housing which is held in place by two screws.

I unplugged the connector and I removed the screws. I gently pulled the resistor straight out. I'm not used to things being this simple...

One of the coils is broken. :ugh:

I contacted Mark at Vancouver Toyota. He was super helpful and had one, but since he thought I was in the United States and I thought he was in Vancouver, Canada, the shipping costs were kinda high for such a small part.

Is it possible to solder the coil? Has anyone had success with that or is this resistor toast? Does anybody in Canada have a decent one they can spare?

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
You can also pull the resistor from any 82-85 Celica or Supra.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info, but donor cars are pretty scarce around these parts...:whatever:

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
The coils are made from nichrome wire and can't be soldered. The coils oxidize with age and that's what causes them to break. Your best bet is a new blower resistor. Also, the blower resistor controls every speed except for High. The resistor is bypassed when the blower switch is in the High position.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That makes sense 'cuz the blower worked on high even without the resistor installed...thx

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
Imagine that. They will be around awhile as they aren't Supra-specific Still cheap, and I have my spares.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got a good deal on a blower resistor from forum member One2spookU - thanks Garrette :thumbsup:

Replaced the resistor ...works fine on all setting but LOW for some reason?

Still, that's ok by me - AUTO/MED/HIGH work fine.

It could be the switch, or maybe I jiggled a wire loose when replacing the foam seal on my heater box, I dunno?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts