Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:evil: :mad: Okay, now I am really pissed off :mad: :evil: . I was taking my friend home today, and as I accelerate, and shift into 2nd, as soon as second catches I hear this horrible grinding squealing come from the rear of the car. When I go over 3 mph it squeals loudly, if I go in reverse it "ticks" and squeals. If I turn, the noise is too horrible to describe. This leads me to believe I have a problem in the differential. Would it be worth it to rebuild, or should I just get a different one? Ive never rebuilt a rear end before, so I have not the slightest clue what I am doing. About how much would I expect to spend on one, or to have a shop rebuild mine? If I do get a new one, what should I look for (ratio, LSD vs. NON-LSD, anything else)??? Any help would be VERY much appreciated!

-Ken

·
Registered
177 Posts
Pull it apart and see what you broke, I used to be scared of differentials, but after a couple it isn't too bad...........

·
Super Moderator
8,413 Posts
If you don't have any idea on how to rebuild a differential I would just take it to a shop. There isn't that much labor involved in redoing a Supra diff so the cost shouldn't be that high. If you want to redo the whole diff I wouldn't rebuild the factory LSD. I would just buy an aftermarket LSD such as the TrueTrac or Powerbrute and buy new bearing and seals. I think I paid about $150 for all the bearing and seal needed from Jeff. Something like a TrueTrac will run $350+ depending on where you get it from. If you can find a good used one it would be a lot cheaper than rebuilding your old one. Its kind of hard to beat that $45 price tag at the local Pick-a-part here. Also the noise you describe could be a bearing going out as well.

·
Registered
15,039 Posts
well, i got my true trac from reider racing for ~$300.
william

1 - 4 of 4 Posts