Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I posted this on the Y! group but figured it wouldnt hurt to post here also. Hope no one minds.

I blew a head gasket on Friday (Felpro I believe). Engine has 20K on it since a complete rebuild (85 5MGE).

Should I get a metal head gasket from Toysport or is there somewhere else I should look? I had the motor bored .030 over with new pistons and all. Hopefully that is not lending to my issues.

Also, where can I get a good set of plug wires?

Thanx
Mark

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am going to order one from them as soon as I have the head checked.

Can I use the ARP head bolts or Studs that are spec'd for a 7M? The head bolt therad below is not clear on it (or my interpration of the thread is not clear).

Thanx
Mark

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Yes, you can use the 7m spec ARP Head studs. I have the ARP head studs and an HKS 2mm MHG on my baby. Stock is about 1.2mm. I went thicker to lower compression a little and accommodate for shaving the head slightly.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have 7MGTE on my 6M motor and also a 2.0mm HKS MHG because of the shaving of the head and deck(block) and had the head bolts seat shaved for the 7M studs are a little shorter than the 6M and to have better clamping on the head....

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I took the head and gasket in to the builder today. He said all of the cylinder's were going on the gasket. He suspects detonation (maybe from a faulty knock sensor). The head doesnt need to be decked because it was just done 20k ago but he recomends putting it on a dyno to get it tuned before I run it to far.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
I have a set of NGK wires from my 5m I do not want anymore (going 7m). If you want them let me know. They are in good condition.

Christian

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, I recieved my MHG today. I put it on the block and it is longer than the block (the front of teh gasket hangs off). Do you guys just shave this with a dremel or what?

All teh cooling and oil ports line up but it looks like the 7m has a couple ports up front that the 5m doesnt

Thanx
Mark

·
Super Moderator
8,413 Posts
Do you have the timing cover on the block? The front part of the HG goes over the timing cover. Cut that off and you are SOL.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts